question about customs

jimmy5willy":ypju93l7 said:
Anything that is deemed to have "Commercial Value" will be liable to tax -whether you plan to sell it or not.
Everything else has pretty much already been said. Expect 20% of marked value tax + handling fees.

So far GIFT and COMMERCIAL SAMPLE have got through free in my experience.
Also, apparently if you book a "Return" with UPS that gets through free aswell as you're supposedly returning to sender... Not tried that one though.

Forgot to say before.

Bought a crank spider recently and it was marked as "used bicycle component" and it got through too.

SF Klein":oq7bjmbt said:
You bought a second Klein? The Gator one was just down the road from you right? What's the second Klein look like?

yes i have the attitude from just down the road and a couple of pics are http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79722

I bought the koi from best trails off ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1182

because it was complete frame and forks and mc2 stem in nice condition. i was pulling my hair out trying to get forks for the adroit 96/97 even judy's. and forgot how heavy judy's actually were if you never used one's designed with klein steerer.

I thought of just putting new forks in but then they are all disk mounts so cant use them. so i just bought the one off best trails and will build it to original spec.

saying that after buying that one i have now found some carbon 2007 world cup sids with canti bosses so will put them in the adroit i already had, and just custom job the bike with latest xtr v brakes and groupo and put carbon ritchey stem bars seatpost. Never play with a klein it becomes expensive

thanks andy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
my adroit has just hit parcel force hub today, i phoned them and said can i pick up because i live 1 mile away and they said i have to wait for it to go through customs and then a letter will come giving me charges. the women said call back next week. well we all know that sentence devastated me.(all retro boys and girls should know how enthausatic we are to get our toy quickly).

so now my bike has traveled half way round the world and is minutes from me and i still cant get to it. sleeping is gonna be right out the window. I dread the customs charges. i feel very ill on it all

thanks andy

Funny how they send a letter now and make you wait :?

The last time I had to pay customs I just paid cash to the Parcel Force guy and he gave me a receipt.

VAT at 15%, goes up to 17.5 on Jan 1st (booooo)
Duty is 14% on bikes and parts
Parcelfarce charge on top is just over a tenner I think.

If the frame has been sent by courier, i.e. DHL, FedEx etc, it usually by passes customs if the box has been marked with 'second hand item', 'commercial sample', 'returns'.

Easy_Rider":2bbms2nh said:

The last time I had to pay customs I just paid cash to the Parcel Force guy and he gave me a receipt.

That must be a very recent thing. 2 weeks ago I phoned my local depot with the tracking number. Paid the fee over the phone and they delivered next day.

my baby has arrived and customs only charged me £42 proud.

i am now looking for xtr952 groupset

thanks andy

jimmy5willy":2n85vbw9 said:
Easy_Rider":2n85vbw9 said:

That must be a very recent thing. 2 weeks ago I phoned my local depot with the tracking number. Paid the fee over the phone and they delivered next day.

It was around 2003 so nearly 7 years ago....wow that long :shock:

Back