Question: 1994 MARIN Team FRS frame differences? Anyone?

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
My friends!

I own several 1994 MARIN Team FRS frames by now. I noticed some minor differences that I cant make any rhyme of. I am specifically talking about the weldings of the rear suspension for example. Here in the pictures, you see 2 different versions of the welding. Same build / model year 1994.

One of the frames follows the normal MARIN serial number rule FX4xxxxxx (the one with the torquoise Ringle seat binder collet). The other one has the serial number MT94xxxxxx and has a "thicker" welding on the rear suspension bridge.Does anyone of you have more info or knowledge about it? Did they change the welding due to crack problems in the middle of the year or so? The model year 1993 also had the "thinner" weldings".

Thank You!

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

Last edited:
The second and 3rd picture look to have been repaired, definitely the welding on the lower pivot is not factory, I suspect the top pivot has been repaired or beefed up at some point in its life, welding doesn't look factory original to me.

Or there is a chance the frame is a test frame or something similar

Last edited:
Nah, the weld is just a little liquid! A repaired aluminium weld would look much different.

Last edited:
The difference in the frame numbers would suggest to me that Marin had some made in different factories for some reason.

MT is a Taiwanese factory - My modified possible 1994 Scott Pro Racing was made there.

I know all the different threads here in the forum to decypher Marin serial numbers. M being the Marvel factory (possibly). But the rest dont seem to apply. Second position is a letter. Not a digit, No letters for possible frame height in the serial number and so on. I guess the serial numbers may have changed in 1994 - or so. I dont know.

I know all the different threads here in the forum to decypher Marin serial numbers. M being the Marvel factory (possibly). But the rest dont seem to apply. Second position is a letter. Not a digit, No letters for possible frame height in the serial number and so on. I guess the serial numbers may have changed in 1994 - or so. I dont know.

I think maybe MT was a different factory, not Marvel. I am sure there is someone who has a better idea though. It's not listed on the excellent Asian serial numbers thread on Bikeforums:
but you could post there and see whether anyone knows whether MT was Marvel or a different factory. I would be interested to know, since that is where my single speed frame was originally built (and they built the 1994 Scott Pro Team, but not many other Scotts).

Back