[Project] TVT 92 Shimano 600 Mavic SUP Ceramic

JCalado

Retro Newbie
Hello to all,

After many time searching for a Vitus 979 bike i ended up buying a TVT 92! :LOL: The price was good and the purshase was made like the car dealers say, "sight unseen".
The seller had it in the garage rotting away for years because it belong to a late family member and he didn't ride, so couldn't really get much information about the condition, suspected that would be scuffed but was suppose to be in working order with some maintenance.

Arrived today and appart from the right shifter not working was like i tought, the wheels seem ok, rear rim a small wobble but braking surface in really good condition, the front one is straight but can be noticed some wear on the brake surface, not much though. With some time going to dismantle it, clean, polish and lubricate everything, any tips from you guys here in the forum are appreciated.

IMG_20230909_192344.jpg

I'm trying to get the shimano 600 8v sti right shifter in working order again, if not i'm eyeballing a pair of dura ace 7400 8v sti, you guys know if they are compatible with the front and rear shimano 600 mech?

Right shifters can be made to work again with a liberal application of WD40 or spray lube of your choice.
Point the little tube thing into the innards and repeatedly spray whilst working the levers back and forth.
The grease has a habit of drying out causing the working to stick.

First and important tip - it has secondary grub screw on the back of the seat lug to hold seat pin, move seat pin without lossening it and you are in trouble....7400 works perfectly well with 600 f mech and on the rear with B/alternative routing (see more here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html).

Congrats on new purchase, those rims look hardly used. BTW yours is HR frame :)

Thank you for your responses, i opened the shifter with a help of a guide and sprayed w40 e put rubbing alcohol on it, after used sewing machine oil on it and it's working but not in a satisfactory manner. Located the grub screw but too late, already put alot of force on the saddle anda managed to rotate it but not move it up or down, only after saw the screw and tryed to unscrew it with no sucess, will have to tappit out.
The rims are nice especialy the rear one that is always the worse the front has some wear, about the frame i think the HM ones are the more valuable because they are "high modulus carbon"? HR seen it on several places but don't know what it means.

1694961060925.png

1694961125300.png

Ops, careful with that screw, it is made of SS and won't budge easily, speaking from experience ;0 IF you continue to rotate the saddle pin it will come out, but screw will remain stuck in the seat lug. No heat please, tubes are glued into lugs.

HM models have TVT engraved into lugs, so yours is I'm pretty sure HR.

I'm thinking about drilling it, definitly no heat. I know mine isn't a HM, just don't know what HR means 😅

Thank you for the link, already had roam trough it but not with much atention, only got to know the tvt brand when i saw the ad for this bike!
Two more pics, soon will have a vacation and some time will be dedicated to this bike, is in need of good general maintenance....
1694966517632.png
1694966577930.png

So next week i'm goingo to start working on the bike, someome knows the sizing of the grub screw? Need to buy one to replace the other. For now found out the screws of one of the bottle cages are rusted and one of them is rotating with the rivet... any tips?

Thiking about removing the seat stays to clean everyting better, you guys find it a good ideia or it's better not mess with that?

Latest posts

Back