Preview! Preorders!! Redesign Rocky Mountain tilted seat clamp.

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
IMG_20230731_204352.jpg This ******* 30° seat collar got broken today!! Not specially tighten, but its an abnormal engineering item
Which solutions do i have? For sure it happened before......

Mechanically speaking, ots beautiful but now eoththis seat tube, i have no options. Maybe doing a customized one?

not sure if it's something you'd want to do, as it will alter the frame drastically. personally i wouldn't do it, but some have cut the angle off the seat tube and made them level so that a standard straight seat collar binder could be used instead. it's fairly notorious that the angled seat tube was terrible idea on those year RMs and ppl experienced the collar rising up and even working it's way off the seat tube in use.

Any idea for not cutting it? Im mechanical engineer and I'm thinking 🤔 n designing a custom one with some small prisoner to keep it in place. Maybe I can do an small batch to adjust price and I can sell some. Colors will be rhe problem. I have some option in Taiwan/China.

I did a fast design, adding a M4 prisoner to fix it to the seat tube and avoid it sliding up. Current broken clamp seems not CNC's. Seems forged. If I d it in CNC 7075 or 6061 it should last.
I asked for small batch prices. I want to have more than one. But do you think somebody could be interested on it?

1690837699555.png

What about using red 600 series Lock Tite to somewhat bond the anodizing layer of the aluminum collar to the paint layer of the seat tube? Same stuff is used to bond steer tubes to crowns when doing steer tube swaps when pressing in a new tube. Surely if the Lock Tite solution is good for a steer tube it can hold a seat collar?

Granted a press fit joint has a tighter tollerance than a seat collar. But maybe when applied wet then properly tightened the bond holds. Or, 3M makes epoxy specifically for jointing different metals together. The compound has a very high sheer strength IIRC.

the reason it's moving up is the forces aren't radial. bring the collar down to flat and put the bolt down to pull round. no need for locking pins.

Yes, but then the piece nis not as sexy. But you are right. Maybe an intermediate solution.

Back