Prepping a retro mtb for cyclo-cross

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My ride to work retro-bike has been seriously neglected - see my thread on the failed rim :roll: So I've invested in new wheels and tyres, brake pads, a less-worn second-hand 32-12 cassette & chain and pulled a set of used, steel 28-38-48 Biopace chainrings out of the spares box. I saw the rules of some cyclo-cross events allow mtbs, so I thought with my new 1.5" Schwalbe Marathons and a good spread of gears I'd give it a go. Here's the route profile and conditions:

http://www.cxsportive.com/events/woodcote-cx-jan-2013/

My road bike is too nice to whack down farm tracks at speed, but an old rigid mtb might just cut the mustard. I entered the full 80km distance for some reason ;) but I should be ok. I need to get a training ride in this weekend of the same distance.

SP

Good on you!

This season just gone, I rode 4 events in my local Lincolnshire CX League on my '92 and '11 Stumpjumpers and had no issues with rules and regs - even got away with bar-ends. I was running Schwalbe CX Pros 1.35" and they were absolutely fantastic!

The only problem was the engine - I was crap and came last or 2nd to last in each race. Anyways, it was the taking part that counted and I loved it so much that I'll be doing it again this year.

It looks like it'll be cracking course. I used to live down that way and loved riding the Chilterns.

Have fun!

My highest place in a race was second to last, in-fact I'm quite consistent with that placing.

Are you putting drop bars on it?

Good stuff, guys some room for improvement though! I do ok at racing on the mtb and this looks fun. No plans for drops at the moment though I did buy some bar tape for the bar ends today. :D

To quote Bob...."....he just said "good luck"". Tyres according to conditions on the day will be ONE key!

This is an old article from Cycling News about a guy that built a cross bike using a Parkpre Team 925 frame

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/200 ... bike.shtml

bike.jpg

Though I've never looked into it properly I always though that the bike must have tyres less than 35mm wide and bars less than 50cm wide in order to compete? primarily i guess to exclude mountain bikes from entering... i just assumed that it would always apply to all events.

Back