anyone ride Velothon Wales on a retro mtb?

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey all. I've just returned from Velothon Wales where my brilliant beautiful and determined girl friend completed her first big formal ride. She's not been riding long- about 8 months and she's really got into riding. She used her modern hybrid for the event bit I was wondering if anyone here had done it on a retro mtb and if anyone might be interested in doing a retro entry for next year's event? There seemed to be almost all modern road bikes but bearing in mind there were 15000 entries I may have missed any retro contingent

Re:

I watched a couple of hours of the 140km and saw a few hardy souls on modern rigid mtbs - mostly 29ers, but nothing old school, except some old road bikes.

I didn't see any of the 50km riders as they had gone past earlier, but I suppose there could have been some retro rigids in there.

Other than for The Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain, where the gears might be handy, I wouldn't do it on an mtb, certainly not the 140km.

Kudos to your GF. Did she do the 50 or 140km?

Re:

Well done to anyone who did this ride. And especially if in Retrobike style. Would have loved to have done it myself. The route took in lots of my old biking routes from late the 80s/early 90s when I lived in Cardiff, including Sugar Loaf and Caerphilly Mountain - initially on a Raleigh Arena, then on a Marin Palisades and then on a Clockwork. I bet this hairpin could cause mayhem going downhill with a big field of riders.

A massive massive BOO! to the MPs and morons who tried to stop/sabotage the event. Anywhere else, most people would love the chance of a big event like the Velothon. Look at the success of Le Tour's GB visits, Ride London, Yorkshire, etc.

Attachments

• hairpin.jpg
    hairpin.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 358
Re:

My girlfriend and I rode this on retro Merlin road bikes. I din't see anything else old out there. We did receive numerous comments about them

Back