Post Trek KLEIN - are they really as bad a people make out?

Re:

Update...

So when I bought this it had a VGC Judy SL fork on it, I've been cleaning it all down, polishing where I can and also picking off the bubbly paint to ensure no holes or cracks beneath and frame appears 100% structurally sound.

I did a quick mock up earlier and then remembered an old Cannondale Fatty R fork I had laying about, that might look right on this. I think it does look okay, i'm however not sure if the Fatty R is a PURE jump/trials fork or if it would okay on this as an aggressive XC build, it also has a much shorter A-C of around 400-390mm, however when you take into account 'sag' of the Judy fork when on the bike, it's probably not too far off. Whats peoples thoughts on below...?

Attachments

• 20190612_163123_resized.jpg
    20190612_163123_resized.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 414
  • 20190612_163005_resized.jpg
    20190612_163005_resized.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 20190612_163048_resized.jpg
    20190612_163048_resized.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 413
Re: Re:

TOMAS":4pkqe363 said:
Update...

So when I bought this it had a VGC Judy SL fork on it, I've been cleaning it all down, polishing where I can and also picking off the bubbly paint to ensure no holes or cracks beneath and frame appears 100% structurally sound.

I did a quick mock up earlier and then remembered an old Cannondale Fatty R fork I had laying about, that might look right on this. I think it does look okay, i'm however not sure if the Fatty R is a PURE jump/trials fork or if it would okay on this as an aggressive XC build, it also has a much shorter A-C of around 400-390mm, however when you take into account 'sag' of the Judy fork when on the bike, it's probably not too far off. Whats peoples thoughts on below...?

You want a suspension fork.

Absolute approval from a layman. Very similar form factor to Strata, with added benefit an option running a mullet, though might be blasphemous to some purists. Highly personalized (Tre)Klein.

Planning myself the same for somewhat later Adroit in Caribbean Reef, still pondering over Fatty or P-bone rigids.

Attachments

• strata.jpg
    strata.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 396
That fork fits the frame very well imho. The height seems right, too. But the ride will be ... harsh. I hope your teeth are solid.. :D

If you don't mind using modern tyres, I would suggest you try Conti Race Kings running at 1,5 to 2 bars. That would take care of the access stiffness. :facepalm:

Thias":u1nrb73m said:
That fork fits the frame very well imho. The height seems right, too. But the ride will be ... harsh. I hope your teeth are solid.. :D

If you don't mind using modern tyres, I would suggest you try Conti Race Kings running at 1,5 to 2 bars. That would take care of the access stiffness. :facepalm:

I actually have some race kings somewhere in the workshop! I'm 14 stone so i'm sure my cake belly will get the fork flexing a little bit lol... I'll continue with this mock build and do a few rides and then decide... next mission is to find canti posts that fit these bloody forks as they look a funny size, seem to have right size ones but thread pitch looks diffo... looks like it needs ones with very coarse threads, guessing they'll be Imperial being from US and likely a biatch to find! I'll get the down to local engineering shop to get the taps out to work out what threads I need...

I remember the Pulse being advertized as the first Klein designed around front suspension fork travel. Every other model would fit a RS or Manitou as an after thought. So take that in consideration along the excruciating pain coming from your battered wrists when you give up and go look for a Judy or Marz.

If I were you, I'd make full use of the suspension corrected geo and fit a quality fork from 1998-2001ish, like a Judy Race or SL Hydracoil, Manitou SX Carbon or SX TPC, early Rockshox Sid.

Re:

The looks are stunning! Just turn the stem upside down and you will have a very racy look of your beautiful bike.
A stiff front end will be less comfortable, but if you adjust your riding style you will manage easily. I am doing this for years and only on the big DH’s I have to slow down. :cool:

I do have a selection of sus forks I could fit/try out, i'm gonna give it a go rigid first and won't hurt to try (or might from what ppl are saying lol). So by my cals the Fatty R has a A-C or 395, my RS Judy SL has A-C 425mm, but when sagged out comes to around 405mm... thats 10mm difference, I've not yet had chance to calculate rake but it certainly seems to steer okay whilst freewheeling around the street.

I think I've got an old HD Pig headset laying about, so could always bang in the bottom cup to give me a bit more lift if required... now... do we go full blown custom with a repaint!? I've always liked my stuff factory/original paint, however this in current guise looks tired/shoddy. I could try and go with a simple early paint theme like the pink/white/green... or would that be trying to make it too much like an 'expensive' Klein haha... Anyone ever bought any of the decals off Gil, roughly how much were they as I need to factor that into my plan...

Latest posts

Back