Post-scaphoid fear. Wrist guards (and more)?

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Did my scaphoid in this weekend. Down the pub I'll say it was shredding some local gnar, but the reality is I went arse over tit after hitting a mildly muddy patch. Regardless, it hurt, and I have been looking at wrist guards since. Thing is, the doc did a good job of putting the fear of God into me talking about dead bones and metal pins, so now I have convinced myself I need to dress up as Robocop before I'll be brave enough to ride any bumpy stuff again.

First, I have been told no bikes for "several weeks" which absolutely blows since I have a week (booked and paid for) next week down by Glentress. What are people's experiences on here regarding recovery times? It's still sore just now, but already far less painful than a couple of days ago. I'm hoping road within a couple of weeks and maybe some even some light off road...? Realistic, or naïve?

Second, anyone use wrist guards? Do they work? Most recommendations seem to suggest TLD, 661, EVS, etc but interested to know what others have tried/tested. And most importantly, would they protect against a similar injury in the future? Risk is that while I'm at it with the wrist guards, I can see me going full bhuna and shelling out on knee/elbow pads at the same time (although I'm not quite at the stage of full-face helmet and ski goggles...yet! ;) ).

latest

Had the exact same scaphoid break after stupidly pushing my arm out onto the dashboard as a passenger during a collision.

Diagnosis was 12/13 weeks in the cast but I got fed up around 7 weeks in and Dremmel tooled it off, played golf that afternoon which I wouldn't advise but I haven't had any problems in the 3 years since other than the odd ache during riding, when a decent wrist strap works wonders.

Re:

Easter weekend 2000 I had a flat out crash on my Bmx and snapped the Radius and dislicated the Ulna in my right wrist.
6 titanium screws and a plate fitted and 7 weeks in plaster and I was good to go.
It can give me grief if it's below zero in the winter but other than that, no problem at all.
I still race XC and Bmx on the odd occasion and have never had a problem, as long as you keep it strapped up initially to support it I would think you would be ok and obviously take it easy on the first few rides.
Good luck with the recovery.

I broke my scaphoid and did absolutely nothing about it. In fact it was 9 years later when I realised I'd broken it, and had been subsequently breaking it, fusing it, breaking it during those 9 years. 2 and a half operations later I no longer have a scaphoid, or any movement of my wrist or, fortunately, anymore pain.

When I first broke it I carried on doing what I was doing then, which was mainly kick boxing, football and bike riding. You can do any of these things with a broken scaphoid but the moral of my story is that you should do exactly what your doctor tells you, because I didnt and was in constant pain for about 7 years. Don't be like me, it ******* hurts.

fjpshaw":3sgf3pub said:
Ha! Dremmelling skill level 100...nice!

What wrist strap do you use then? Found this crowd who claim to have some kind of scaphoid saving technology built into gloves: https://www.planet-knox.com/product-category/mtb/

One or two hairy moment when upping the rpm and freehanding with the wrong hand :facepalm:

I use RDX weightlifting gloves with built in wrist straps, really robust and great for absorbing bumps on the rough stuff :D

Cheers tIB - definitely not looking to try and upset any recovery, just hoping that some light bike rides aren't totally out of the question for the full 10-12 weeks...especially as viable weather days are quickly running out! Sounds like you had real issues with yours though, and def dont fancy any of that for myself, so I am taking note. Suppose everyone is going to recover differently. I dont think mine was as bad a break as some that you can find online, so hoping that works in my favour. Encouraged that Mr G took 7 weeks.

I doubt mine was a bad break- I didn't get it checked out and carried on as normal- but it made a mess long term and i now have or have had all those things your doctor scared you with!

Don't do anything that could risk the fusing back together is my honest advice- for the sake of 10-12 weeks, which is the time it will take for that to happen properly, I wouldn't risk it. Clearly I didn't practice what I now preach, but I was in horrid amounts of pain for a long time due to my stupidity. Sorry to be a bit of a downer and good luck with the recovery whatever you decide to do. The good news is it isn't that painful a break and will feel fine very soon!

Back