Poorly described eBay listing. Opinions pleeez

This one:
C4E2B558-AF72-44B8-9A82-68481C78283E-4849-000007EB88816A5A.jpg

Tiny 1mm2 cross cut in the foreground.
But as long as the rest of the system is sealed it can't leak even if its upside down.

But isn't there a diaphragm underneath that, allowing the fluid to respond to brake application, wear, etc, without leaking? THe system is sealed, so no fluid should escape unless it's been monkeyed around with...

Well he's apologised again. I can't fault his comms at least.

"Dear 8ren

ok very sorry about that i should have fitted it to a bike with pads installed and been more thorough in my final checks i did notice there was a third bolt hole but had completely forgoten to replace this
Kind regards matt

- bike-bits2u"

I'm thinking of knocking down the star rating thingy and mentioning it in the text box? I dunno?

suburbanreuben":5qobfbrq said:
But isn't there a diaphragm underneath that, allowing the fluid to respond to brake application, wear, etc, without leaking? THe system is sealed, so no fluid should escape unless it's been monkeyed around with...

Exactly. You can turn your bike upside down without fear of leakage when everything is as it should be. Hope do call it an open system though. If you were to open the bleed nipple with the bike upside down you would get a leak from this hole as air enters through the nipple. Basically unless air can get in from somewhere it just won't leak.

bren":367szbq1 said:
Well he's apologised again. I can't fault his comms at least.

"Dear 8ren

ok very sorry about that i should have fitted it to a bike with pads installed and been more thorough in my final checks i did notice there was a third bolt hole but had completely forgoten to replace this
Kind regards matt

- bike-bits2u"

I'm thinking of knocking down the star rating thingy and mentioning it in the text box? I dunno?
"bike-bits-2-u" ? So he has aspirations towards doing this commercially?
Even more reason to warn others they're dealing with a self confessed muppet.

I know there are loads of tools getting shot of tat on flea bay but there are also some idiots buying stuff.

I sold my Hayes Mags on there a while ago, gave hose lengths, good long description etc. Brakes were fully bled and working perfectly.

A couple of weeks later the guy who bought them messages me to say that the hoses were too short and that they were leaking and demanding his money back! WTF! He had all the info needed to check they fitted and obviously used them and crashed etc.

However, I do feel your pain. I've bought some right rubbish on the bay, but I've also had some stuff turn up to be much better than expected.

Save you heard anything else from him yet?

I know there are loads of tools getting shot of tat on flea bay but there are also some idiots buying stuff.

Hmmm & I've just suffered in the hands of the one of the former & been one of the later all in the same sale.

Bonafide secondhand bike dealer described a 2012 bike as immaculate & hardly ridden, so I asked him to send more detail photos & he responded "this is my own bike it is immaculate hardly used, it doesnt have any marks or wear" - but with no extra photos, temptation got the better of me & I pressed the buy it now button, now I have the faff of packing it back up & returning it so he can inspect it & issue a refund. :evil:

I ended up marking old matey down on the star rating thing and mentioned the misleading description in the feedback text box thingy.
Too soft maybe? I dunno.

bren":2buf9yut said:
This one:
C4E2B558-AF72-44B8-9A82-68481C78283E-4849-000007EB88816A5A.jpg

Tiny 1mm2 cross cut in the foreground.
But as long as the rest of the system is sealed it can't leak even if its upside down.

Thats just an air hole to let the diaphram move freely, otherwise there'd be a vacuum pocket!

I always thought items like the one described in this thread should be listed as 'for parts or not working' at the end of the day you'd probably have bid the same as you only wanted part of the system! I've had more trouble with terrible buyers recently, but thats mainly down to I believe them having one to many and winning something they weren't really after!

Back