Poor quality work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stuck here with postage - and that is a huge worry for me with the Rossin. I had thought (and have not discounted) flying over to England with the frame to deliver it but, the more i thought about it, i would need to fly over to collect it too. The addittional costs for 2 return flight adds a load to the cost - too much really!

That is why i am reliant of advice from RBers - and I have the niggling worry about 'what if it isn't right'.

Pondering on ...

Richard

The Rossin needs a respray - nothing else would do.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=245434

I might be interested in the decals but it is still early days yet with the paint scheme - and it should not be early days!!!

Richard

Sorry for going OT, but Richard, look at bob jacksons in leeds. I got my caygill done there, and they sent it down to spain once finished, in a proper frame box with loads of bubble wrap. I know they do (or at least did) a pickup and return delivery service. Fantastic paint job too!

TGR":2e79cz58 said:
The Rossin needs a respray - nothing else would do.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=245434

I might be interested in the decals but it is still early days yet with the paint scheme - and it should not be early days!!!

Richard

Richard, if that's a pearl it needs a proper job, a plain enamel you could do with relative ease.
But you need a tube repair also?

Hope you can get it sorted, here's one I found with a similar frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 328563813/

foz":2mnouumb said:
Sorry for going OT, but Richard, look at bob jacksons in leeds. I got my caygill done there, and they sent it down to spain once finished, in a proper frame box with loads of bubble wrap. I know they do (or at least did) a pickup and return delivery service. Fantastic paint job too!

I have had a couple of bikes that have been painted by Bob Jackson, one in a very nice metallic gun metal colour. Both were superbly finished.

I would also throw Argos in Bristol into the mix. I have had a frame and two pairs of forks painted by them, they also replaced two chainstays on the frame and the work was excellent. I have spent a fair while at their shop drooling over the dozens of customers frames they have hung up ready to go out. They are not cheap, but their work is very good.

Painters don't ever in our experience leave the paint to harden long enough, leaving them vulnerable to damage in transit. Having said that, Argos have done a few for us on behalf of customers and they've been good.

The last Bob Jackson we had S&S couplers put in the frame fine, but cable stops brazed in all the wrong positions. To be fair they did put it right in the end.

i have used several painters over the years, it depends what i want as to who i use.

Argos (bristol):-
Lime crosswork, perfect quality but the colour choice was lost in translation but was ok, posted to and from, several years on it's still good
fat chance buckshaver, pearl white, gil m stickers, looks good all round, dropped in and collected by me, 2 years on it's still good
muddy fox courier comp, paint and stickers by them, perfect. dropped off and collected by me 2 ish years on it's still good
orange nickel P7, stickers by Gil m, lacquered by argos, dropped off and collected by me, still good 3 years on
felt carbon/aluminium road bike, it was matt black, they put a glitter lacquer on it for me, looked cool, posted to and from, sold years ago

bob jackson (leeds):-
92 clockwork, british racing green and gold stickers, really liked it, chipped easy but it was the "flamboyant" paint which is brittle, posted to and from, sold it
92 aluminium O, white with their stickers, looked awesome, tough as old boots, shame it rode like crap! posted to and from, sold it
92 kona explosif, black with glitter lacquer, still looks awesome 4 years on, stickers applied by me on top of paint, posted to and from.
96 proflex, paint only, looks good, no chips after 3 years except from chain slap under swing arm, posted to and from

TJC design, (bristol) (who graphic shack use)
07 clockwork, dropped off and collected by me, very good finish, only minor issue was i think i should have let it harden a bit before building it as the drop out and disc mount flaked a little when mounting parts, i think it would have been ok if i wasn't in such an excited rush to build it.

fat creations (chichester)
fausto coppi galaxy, picked up and dropped off by none other than Dave Hemmings, pearl white, painted stickers, 10 years on still looks good, one big chip from a spanner drop by me, other than that it's still spot on.

K+N finishing, (portsmouth)
good for basic powder coating, their white is really good, their "gun metal" though is more like matt slate grey

take from that what you will, what i would say is that the only paint jobs i have not been 100% happy with have been when i have not dropped the frame in myself and i wanted a bright colour, if you say "gloss black" the painter knows, if you say "bright green" people have different ideas on what that means. this is why the posted frames have been relatively simple jobs, whites, blacks, silvers etc. also when i post stuff i email full details and pictures before hand to confirm sticker type and placement, i then only put my details in the box with the frame which means someone HAS to look at the emails before painting, doing this i have never had a sticker mistake etc, unless i got it wrong!

regarding posting, my view is it is not ideal, usually i wait until i happen to passing the place i want to do the work to sort of lose the costs a bit. but then i'm never in a rush.

another place i would try is hydrographics , (yorkshire?) various frame builders at the bespoked show last year said they used them.

bikenut2010":2lc5n90z said:
there are areas with depressions that are exactly where chipped paint was on the original. .
If you're planning on getting it refinished because it's so shoddy anyway, why not scrape some paint off and see whether they really stripped it?

dyl":3a5at848 said:
bikenut2010":3a5at848 said:
there are areas with depressions that are exactly where chipped paint was on the original. .
If you're planning on getting it refinished because it's so shoddy anyway, why not scrape some paint off and see whether they really stripped it?

That was the next step...the spec was grit blasting, they said they couldn't save the chrome dropout as the chrome wasn't good, so I imagine chrome would be removed by blasting...I'm sure it is still there and i'll remove a bit of paint anyway when I fit a wheel.

There's a local paint supplier for car bodies that have the technology to examine paint depth etc...the repairer insist the finish is pearl, but I can't see a trace, even in sunlight.
Either way, if the depressions were caused by pitting or bad preparation, they should have been noticed after first court of primer and fine-filled and flatted.

Re the decals, I sent a squillion pics of the original and a concise decal plan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back