Polishing Profile cranks - before and after photos

finbar

Retro Guru
I bought some ratty and relatively cheap Profile cranks in a delightfully mid-school purple colour, because I've been hunting for a decent set of chrome ones for absolutely ages to no avail (Is Profile chrome particularly poor quality and prone to pitting? Anyway....).

Here they are: P4090437.jpeg P4090436.jpeg I then stripped the paint off myself using Wilko paint remover and wire wool, easy enough:
20230228_082614.jpeg
20230228_082559.jpeg
And then - cheat mode - I took them to the cutlery factory down the road (benefits of living in Sheffield :) ) and got them to polish them up. They did an absolutely fantastic job, if anyone is interested their details are in the photo.
I will clear coat them with 2K lacquer as soon as it's warmed up a bit outside.
20230302_124212.jpeg 20230302_124245.jpeg

Thanks, it has got me wondering what else I can take to this place for polishing :D

(They said anything but frames or - unfortunately - rims)

What process do they use to polish them? I’m local to Sheffield so could be interested in getting bits done

Interested too. What sort of price and turnaround are parts? is it something they offer or was it just literally walking in off the street?

Also to answer your question regarding Profile quality on the chrome - It’s likely because these were abused on the bmx scene rather than hung on a garage wall that many sets suffer badly.
I know that I had a black pair which were hammered back in around 99.
Luckily in 2001 I replaced them with a chrome pair and then hardly used them so my set are very nice still.

Interested too. What sort of price and turnaround are parts? is it something they offer or was it just literally walking in off the street?
It was £30, I just popped in to ask - the guy was very friendly and said they do a lot of motorbike stuff. Overnight turnaround.
They just use massive industrial buffing wheels and a lot of rouge from what I saw.

Luckily in 2001 I replaced them with a chrome pair and then hardly used them so my set are very nice still.

That's good to know. And totally agree re. BMX stuff actually getting used tending to mean it doesn't look that nice second-hand...

Back