Please educate me; single, double, triple chainset

Adam_S":3a1jcikp said:
kyle888":3a1jcikp said:
legrandefromage":3a1jcikp said:
the more i look at these 1x setups the more stupid i think they look.

The ickle bitty chainring at the front does look a bit weird alright, but losing the weight (and expense) of the front mech and shifter is a bit of a bonus IMO.

I'm actually taking the plunge with a bike I'm building up at the moment and going 1x11. If you look at the ratios, with a 32t chainring you're only losing out on a couple of gears at the top compared to a 22/32/42 with an 11-28 cassette so I reckon it's worth a go.

The weight you save isn't that much really and I'm pretty sure 1x11 is way more than a 3x9 setup.
Plus who runs 11-28 mine's 11-34 soon to be 12-36 on a 3x9.

kyle

Cyclings no different to loads of businesses, but it's not a zero sum game so the market can expand, regardless of the longevity of the underlying product.

The 7 speed era stuff is great, triple chain sets are fine, but 1 x 11 is something new and interesting in the mainstream, it's now pretty affordable (slx 1.11 drivetrain set up is £235 on crc)

I'm keen to give it a go.

Thanks for all the replies and apologies for disappearing on this thread; been really busy in my new job and not had much time to think about this build.

Still considering the pros and cons at the moment, the main pro being that I already have everything for a 3x9 set-up. I do fancy the clutter free appearance of the 1x set-up though.

I was convinced that 3x9 11-32 44/32/22 (?) 9
on 26in is the only way.

Recently gone to 1x11 10-42 32 on 29in and really like it.

I will spin out but is the low gears for climbing that are more important.

Id recommend going 1x10 or 1x11.

You need to calculate the gear ratios for the wheel size and see what you will miss. Get the widest ratio cassette, 11-42 on 10 or 11 speed shimano hum, or 10-42 on sram xd driver hub, latter is more expensiv and your rear hub may not supported.

There are many different toothed chaing rings, 24-36t.

Re:

...big benefit for me of having 1X11. When I have to change the front chainring I only have one. I have been using superstar ones who often have sales on and I have been picking up rings for under £20. That way I have a range of them 30T, 32T and 34T...and at the moment I am in the 30T as it is sooooo muddy on my trails running an 11-42 on the back.

Yeah I spin out on some road downhills but very rarely offroad.

I have accepted an invite to FOD trail centre next Saturday. Not sure these days of driving for an hour to ride around in ever decreasing switchbacks but HONC neighbour has never been.

I shall be taking all my 30 gears and both ends bouncy. Gears are like mudguards. Both available for you convenience and comfort. Not to mention taking me to places that I'd be walking to otherwise.

The History Man":3dkmh27l said:
I have accepted an invite to FOD trail centre next Saturday. Not sure these days of driving for an hour to ride around in ever decreasing switchbacks but HONC neighbour has never been.

I shall be taking all my 30 gears and both ends bouncy. Gears are like mudguards. Both available for you convenience and comfort. Not to mention taking me to places that I'd be walking to otherwise.

Front mech clagging up...no not me! I had a ride today where the build up of mud and debris around the BB was the same height as my chainring and still riding fine!!! I think you are looking for excuses Jason ;)

Re: Re:

wookiee":1fnc8gi3 said:
...big benefit for me of having 1X11. When I have to change the front chainring I only have one. .

year, especially where you get the overlap in gear ratio across chainrings, so need to change at the front as well as at the rear.

Latest posts

Back