Placing cycle shelters/parks in superstores

On the picture, the main car entrance is on the bottom left and the main pedestrian/cycle entrance is on the bottom right so either way negotiation past traffic is nessesary.

That picture also shows all the builders portakabins on the ground floor parking which have now gone so its not clear but there is a lot if space around there.

Do you know, I used to work opposite Stanney High school for 6 years, and I never knew they had a proper running track at the rear.

Used to use the gym next door too... would often see John "catch me if you can, 'cause I'm and England man" Barnes in the sauna :shock:

ahem, back on subject.....
It looks like they have set up a path direct to the bike shelters from Longlooms Rd.
I'm surprised its been developed to be honest. I can remember doing conservation projects on that site because there were Great Crested Newts in the pond that was slap bang in the middle of the field... this was over 10 years ago, however

G

After nearly five years in the industry, I was made redundant in January from a large company that sold and installed cycle shelters (amongst many other products).

It is a sad fact of life that despite all the hot air about cycle paths, sustainability etc, the second the recession started to bite, the first thing that went was fancy paving, cycle parking, trees, seats and bins.

I suspect the architect probably had a pretty good, integrated design, but commercial pressures from the client (whoever owns the retail park) onto the main contractor (who built the store) will have reduced the provision to a bare minimum and then shoved it as far away as possible. The reason given will be that they positioned the cycle shelters, close to cycleway infrastructure. It is far cheaper to lay a slab of concrete, than to block pave or even tarmac around cycle hoops.

I would estimate that in the last eighteen months, the industry supplying and installing cycle shelters has contracted by a third to a half and prices have tumbled (which means less robust shelters).

As for me, I'm now working in civil engineering, and very nice it is too.

Just take you bike in the entrance and lock it up inside, or if it's muddy then just outside the doors on some railings. That's what normally happens.
Might as well write a letter/email in and see what happens, worst is you'll get some vouchers.

In the UK, provision for cyclists is so far down the list of priorities during the planning stages of new buildings, roads and public amenity spaces.
Even when some attention is paid to 'sustainable' forms of transport at the planning stage, it's usually beset by cost-cutting, compromise and misinterpretation during the building stages.
What is left at the end is usually laughable.

It's a real shame because there is lots of high quality information and guidelines out there on placing things like cycle parking and cycle lanes and how effective it can be in encouraging more people to use their bike for functional journeys and commuting.
Unfortunately all this it often gets overlooked or just ignored.

It will take enforced legislation before we see any improvement in facilities for cyclists in this country.

The shame of it is that the architects and landscape architects are, for the most part, really on board with the whole idea, plus planning laws and BREEAM are supposed to help beat the contractors into submission.

In reality, every project starts out with a 'value engineering' exercise, at which point the 'wish list' of provisions crashes into the real world of money (or lack of), and money wins every time, so the outcome is always a compromise.

I used to take my bike through the supermarket, never had any hassle.

Some enlightened firms provide internal area for bicycles, surely that is the way forward?

I would like to see cycles given priority over all other modes of transport.

highlandsflyer":2kagk9r5 said:

Some enlightened firms provide internal area for bicycles, surely that is the way forward?

:shock: :shock: All correct

dyna-ti":qbi76o7z said:
highlandsflyer":qbi76o7z said:

:shock: :shock: All correct

Surely disabled access should have the highest priority!!

Back