Picking up a 91 'Dale SM 500 Tomorrow

baldyonabike

Devout Dirtbag
Evening people. Long time lurker here.
I shall be picking this up tomorrow morning: The front end of this reminds me of that old Mint Sauce cartoon with the oversuspended bike : "You can ride over old grannies and not even feel the tins of cat food."

Other than the front and and saddle it looks quite original.
The seller says it needs a service so it'll be interesting to see what it needs. Whatever happens it will receive new cable outers, saddle and anything about to drop off or kill me. I'll keep the ludicrous front end thoough ( and check the frame just in case the new fork/stem/wheels indicate a huge front ender in it's history.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 65
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 64
The fork crown does't mach the fork lowers, I think. I'm not sure how, but maybe thats the problem? Or it is an indication, that something happened.

The crown looks like it came off of a Magxx, but the lowers are RS1.

The fork crown does't mach the fork lowers, I think. I'm not sure how, but maybe thats the problem? Or it is an indication, that something happened.

The crown looks like it came off of a Magxx, but the lowers are RS1.
True, should have bolts facing forwards.

Thanks for the observations - I am not completely au fait with RS1's - are the mismatched crown and lowers a problem? ( I will have to strip and service them in any case - they are locked.) there is no sign of a frontal impact - all the front end of the frame is straight and no signs of stress or cracking/wringkling.

I have picked it up, btw and I can say so far it needs new wheel / BB bearings, headset looking at ( probably needs a new one ) and the front wheel is not original. New cables of course. Suprprisingly the flexstem elastomer is fine - it's even quite supple.
It will be getting a new saddle and will be a daily rider, so probably mudguards and a rack. I'll try and keep it all retro sympathetic though.

You will need a ball needle and pump (like the Mag21 etc use) to fill the fork with some air. 50-60psi if I remember correctly. They should come up a bit further then. That should fix that funny look, I would hope.
If you want to put in new oil, they had atf transmission fluid in them, originally. 10weight fork oil is fine, too. Can't remember the fill height right now.
The mag crown shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. Originally they had a bontrager crown.

Thanks for the info! I had a Specialized Futureshock back in the day, which as I understand it was basically an RS1 in a posh frock, so I remember those pumps - I will have to get hold of one.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The Future Specialized fsx had Mag21 internals. So one or two generations later. But the pump is the same.
You can pump these forks with any pump or compressor using a ball needle. You would just have to really really look out for sharp edges on those needles. I had two cheap ball needles that would ruin the Rockshox valves instantly.
I used a normal tyre pump before while I was in the fields. Works for an emergency.

@grey-beard That is the correct pump. The crown is different.

You can see those crowns on switchblade forks of that time period often:

Back