Peugeot Control 500 (Columbus tubing) + Build Thread

Re:

Nice! And interesting..
I have the Control 800 - a lugged frame with Carbon joiners and Aluminium tubing (like a reverse Cadex..)
Very similar geometry though; and rides incredibly well. Biggest disadvantage is narrow chainstays making anything over a 2.2" tyre impossible to use - looks like the Steel frames are wider; limitations of the Alu/Carbon BB I suspect!

Re:

I wouldn't place too much faith in the catalogues..;) Mine too was supposedly a German/Dutch model, but there is little detail on the 'UK' models of that time.
What I do know is that the whole 'Peugeot' lineup was distributed by Cycleurope at the time (up to 1996); in a transitional phase from 92-96 so the chances are that the catalogues aren't necessarily accurate to what was sold in reality (as usual!).
They tended to use the same frame for a range though, and change the specs by the model number.

Most were made in France up to a certain point; aside from the newer (post-Gould) Alu models; and although officially only 'under licence' from Peugeot, the higher-end models were still made in France; with framesets and custom specs available (though no idea whether this spanned all countries!).
There are 'Peugeots' from the USA from the same timeframe; but much like Raleighs, they are not made by the same company and bear little/no relation to the European bikes.

Nice thing though - there are some very good frames out there, and some dross - but they all sell for similar prices :xmas-cool:

Back