Pete Luxton Frame or Bike wanted

Toecutter

Old School Hero
I wondered if anyone can help.

Pete Luxton was in business with Sid West building Westland frames in Exmouth back in the 1950's. Latterly Pete Luxton built frames under his own name and I'd very much like to find an example - size 22" - 23".

Thanks

Shaun

...nothing heard from G.B so still looking. Also, if anyone actually owns one of these and can let me have some pictures please.

Thanks,

Shaun

Re:

Still looking for one of these frames or a complete bike, 22 - 23"....

Any help would be appreciated and willing to pay a decent price for an example.

With thanks,

Shaun

Re:

I’ve just picked up one of Petes frames, not sure if I’m going to do a full resto or just get it rideable and enjoy, will post some pics next week.

Although I didn’t know Pete as a (current) Exeter Wheeler it has some historical value to me, and I know several people who knew him well.

Pics below of how I picked it up.

Needs a bit of work to be nicely rideable and is a bit of a mish-mash build, nice old Mafac canti's, some mediocre 80-90s Shimano and SR drivetrain bits, nice Simplex Retrofriction shifters though, horrible saddle, Campag hubs on Mavic rims.

It's 700c, with plenty of clearance, would happily take 28s and guards I think, maybe even 32s? Vertical dropouts. Paintjob is not in a great state, and only the shadow of decals left, but the chrome is all still in very good condition, so a repaint with the existing chrome might be on the cards at some future point as I have other projects on the go right now.

If at the very least you'd like to get some water slide transfers reproduced let me know and I'll put you onto a man who can do a very good job.

Good luck,
Shaun

Ta, might end up PM'ing you about that at some point!

I'm probably going to stash this one in the loft for a bit as I have a Rotrax and Ken Ryall in the queue to build first and need to ponder if/how to paint.

I did have a bit of a an eye out for a Westland but nothing has been forthcoming and honestly though I have too many bikes already so shouldn't have bought another, but since it's local and has some history and the Pete Luxton/Westland connection I couldn't resist!

I'm going to ask a couple of my older Wheelers friends about Pete the next time I see them as although I know the name and his history with the club I never actually met him as I only started riding with them a few years ago.

Back