Pedal thread size?

francovendee

Retro Newbie
I've been given a mid 90's Giant MTB. It's in good condition but the bottom bracket needs changing. I already have the tool to remove square taper cranks but although the thread in the pedal doesn't seem to be stripped the thread on the tool looks way too small for the hole.
Were there different diameters for older MTB cranks.
Thanks for any help on this as I may have to cut them off if I can't find another solution.

Eh?
Pedals are removed either with a spanner around the spindle by the crank or by an allen key into the spindle from the back of the crank. Remember the left pedal has a left hand thread.

I think he's asking about removing the cranks from the BB axle, not taking the pedals off the cranks.
Yes, there are different size removers.

Sorry, I couldn't have made it clear.
I'm trying to remove the cranks from the bottom bracket and the removal tool doesn't fit the thread in the pedals. The bolt came out easily, just need to pull the pedal off the taper.

The only different size commonly around is French (21mm) whereas the normal one is 22mm.

Photos would help!

Sorry, I couldn't have made it clear.
I'm trying to remove the cranks from the bottom bracket and the removal tool doesn't fit the thread in the pedals. The bolt came out easily, just need to pull the pedal off the taper.

A quick fix is to ride it around in circles for a bit, the crank arms will soon fall off the tapers if the bolts are removed. Obviously dont go to far.

Bit concerned you say way too small. Normally its pretty close to going in, or goes in and rips the thread out as it just catches but is actually 1mm too small!

Got a picture?

I'm sorry for the poor quality photo, lousy phone and an even lousier cameraman.

I've put a digital caliper across it and I get .876 inch or in metric 22.26.
I've measured the thread on the tool and its .855 on the outside diameter
Looking at the thread in the pedal it looks a much finer thread than the one on the tool.

I'm riding it without a pedal bolt in the hope it will loosen itself.
IMG_20230408_094820.jpg

Back