Pedal strikes washouts and RSI

jonnymcenroe

Beating Jimmy Connors
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Oww Oww Oww

Want to share a painful tale with you all in the hope that you can avoid it.

Loaned my bike to a friend who was visiting town two years back now.
He crashed it, took a turn too fast too low and struck the pedal.
Checked the bike over and all seemed well. He was also fine!

Rode my bike hard over the summer and autumn following this and noticed I was getting some knee pain and shin splints. Long story short...
I didn't notice the pedal axle was bent, ever so slightly but it was and I didn't swap them out.

Now facing chronic knee pain as a result. Bought some fresh pedals and all is good whilst riding however my knee is twisted up good and proper.
:facepalm:
Moral is, if you pedal strike hard - or your friend does - replace them immediately, might seem obvious common sense however I am paying the price for overlooking this until it was too late.

Happy trails everyone.

➡️

I had RSI like knee problems in the early 90s. Exactly as you describe - ow with every pedal turn. It was getting to the point where I couldn't cycle (and I needed to - even if only for commuting as I didn't have a car and there was no bus service from where I lived). Then I had a brainwave. What if I tried replacing all of the rings with round rather than biopace ones? Instant relief. Oddly enough I can ride biopace now, but I had an extremely high cadence back then.

I bent an axle on a pair of Nukeproof Protons, but not through a pedal strike. It was on my mash side on a singlespeed! :shock:
I don't remember how I noticed it but thankfully Nukeproof do axles so it got swapped out quickly. Interestingly I got in touch with them to ask if the Ti axles would be stronger (also partly in hope they would say 'Oh, you bent an axle. That's terrible. Here, have a new set of pedals on us.' but they didn't!) and they recommended me to stick with the steel axles.

Back