Peaks 2008 Route Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
LongboardSi":u4lt3pcu said:
the beast video below. Comes off the top of the moors over near Ladybower/Derwent and ends up down by the reservoir somewhere...

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/images/the_beast_1.wmv

Not a patch on Cavedale though. Seems to be favourite of people who ride Speccy enduros, or santa cruz's and think that getting down it should be some sort of challenge on a 5+" travel bike...

Not dissing it - it's a fun trail, but far from the hardest routes in the Peak...
(makes a good climb....)

Si F

Quite.
Ridden beast loads of time from minimal front suss to full sus, and never really thought it that hard - just a good bit of DH, technical in places, fast in others. Didn't even know it wsa famous or had a name until last week :LOL:

Afraid we have been guilty 'riding our bikes in hills' rather than getting latest 6" all mountain rigs and travel there specially to try out the hype and willy wave on the hills :roll:

Is the route best suited to front or full suspension then?

My rigid frame/forks should arrive next week, and I'm toying with stripping the LTS in order to get her running........and thus air her at the Peaks meet.

Would I be best scrapping this idea and stick with riding full suspension here then?

:?

Pickle":2w2i5nsc said:
Is the route best suited to front or full suspension then?

My rigid frame/forks should arrive next week, and I'm toying with stripping the LTS in order to get her running........and thus air her at the Peaks meet.

Would I be best scrapping this idea and stick with riding full suspension here then?

:?

I'll be on my Zaskar (most likely with 97 Z1's) if i get it built, or possibly a rigid singlespeed 94 karakorum if I don't....

Probably full suss then?

To be honest if you join me down Cavedale being able to drop your saddle is of more use than any amount of travel..

I seem to remeber the descent into Bradwell gets a bit steep in places too if it's the one I'm thinking of.

I'd go with whatever you think can take the hardest beating.

Si F

I bet it rains :( shame can't make it this time. Busy putting my life in order :D

looking at the route I'm even more disappointed that I won't be there.

LongboardSi":334r1i6d said:
being able to drop your saddle is of more use than any amount of travel..

Does anybody, perhaps with exception of Gus, really faff about with their saddle height mid-ride? :?

IMO rigid, drop bars and 35mm tyres would be ideal ;)

I do if I'm trying to ride really silly steep technical stuff. depends what I'm riding, but the chances are most rides I'll be stood about chatting enough between sections that it ameks no real difference to time, and adds a lot of enjoyment to be able to get down stuff cleanly.

I guess it depends what you are riding down.

Si F

Had never ridden the beast(didn't know that was its name til I watched the vid)on anything but a hardtail until last year when I rode down it on a Cannondale rush,full suss just spoils it.Did a ride around there a couple of weeks ago and did it as a climb,now thats tough no mater what you're riding!Going to the peaks Monday,not gonna recce the ride though that'll just spoil it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back