PC operating system question

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Whatever you build ,let me recommend a graphics card,after one day with my new xfx nvidia 9800GTX+ oc id say is about the best graphics ive ever seen
Not cheap,but at £150 not too expensive either
And ive also opted [after Much research]for a gigabyte MA770-ud3 m/board
cold as ice :D

stick to MS xp pro,it works
Cant advise on linux :(

legrandefromage":17s0trbj said:
If you have an XP license, you'll own the right to 1 XP operating system. There no problem in migrating that one operating system from one machine to another. Just the same as if your mB fries or your HDD dies. The operating system has no idea what PC its on, just that its validated and registered with MS.

That depends on the licencing for that version. If its a retail copy then yes you can legally move it from one PC to another. However if its an OEM copy (as usually would be the case when bought with a PC) then it voilates the licence agreement to move that from one PC to another as the licence is tied to that PC.

In practice I doubt whether it would ever cause you an issue as a home user but there are issues in a regulated business environment.

Also be aware that the retail, oem and volume licencing CDs arent interchangable for the purposes of the licence keys so an OEM licence key wont work with a retail CD for example.

Paul..

The computer I'm typing this on was found down the tip - no HDD, OEM XP license

I added a HDD and used my HP laptop's XP disk to install XP, went through all the updates, SP3 etc. OEM license didnt work, but on another PC case, the XP license registered fine.

I just keep going through my spare license labels until one works.

On two occasions, I havent needed to register Windows, which was quite disconserting.

They're watching me... :shock: ;)

Taking the HDD out and reusing it in a new PC is leagal as long as you only have one live PC with that code etc.

I've just got a new XP disk of MS for £17 as the HDD in a laptop had died and I was going to get a new HD for it and re-load. The vendor, (tiny), had gone bust a couple of years ago and hence MS were willing to send me a Cd-Rom on payment of the distribution costs.

If the vendor / maker is still going they should to be able to do the same for you, basically by verifying your OEM Certificate of Aunthenticity and license number etc. (The little holograpghic sticker on the base of the unit).

NB You have to contact Microsoft Direct Services to be able to go down the MS route, contact details below:

Cheers M.

Good day M, Thank you for your interest in our program. Please use the following link for placing your order for the Windows XP Home media:

[snip]

If you have any further questions please get in touch with us and we will be happy to assist you in any way we can. Kind regards Steve Granger Microsoft OEM/SBC TeamCSDSBC@msdirectservices.comPhone: 0870 60 10 100Fax: 0800 03 24 485

Back