Paying rent makes me sad :(

When I lived in Oxfordshire, I had a 2 double bed 2 bathroom appartment next to a little river, the whole place was £700 a month. Moving from a 2 bed appartment to a double room in a shared house that cost a considerable amount more per month was a shock.

And pickle... I dont hate landlords...if I could be one, I would be one :)

perry":3jugqq9i said:
Ouch .

I moved here from south Devon due to costs , me and a mate were paying something like £800 a month each for a maisonette in the center of Paignton , sure I could see the sea but I had no parking .

This is what your money gets around here

http://www.belvoirlettings.com/Grantham/75476

Walking through town not too long ago with the mrs and she mentioned that a few years ago ( while prices were still high ) terraced property in the center of town was a staggering £30,000 :shock: stupid cow should have bought a couple .

Both of our jobs should go permanent soon so maybe we will start looking for a place .

Damn that 5 bedroom place would be a fortune in Islington.

that sounds expensive even for north london! :shock:

i spent the weekend with friends in kilburn, they rent a 3 bedroom groundfloor flat for £2000 a month,

it has:-

1st bedroom with ensuite shower and toilet (big room)
2nd berdroom with ensuite shower/bath and toilet (smaller room but has a cupboard room that it is agreed comes with it)
3rd bedroom (large room)
separate shower/bathroom
separate toilet
large lounge/diner
large kitchen

so each has their own bathroom and toilet and it was partially furnished with high quality stuff aswel

all modern and sorted before they moved in a while ago

they split the costs of rent by 700 for each big room and 600 for the smaller one

but having stayed there quite a few times i would happily live there, it's light, airy and clean and modern and it even has a back garden that is massive even by standards here in the new forest.

£812 :shock: :shock:

in crawley, i rent a room for 320 a month, and luckily, the landlord hasnt changed the rent in over 6 years.

Look at it this way, you can give notice and move out whenever you like, then you are free to move where you like. No hassle, not extra costs (other than the physical act of moving your stuff). Plus you don't have to pay for repairs or upkeep, so when the boiler goes wrong it's not your problem.

Home ownership does have it's advantages, but I enjoy the freedom of renting. It is only since the 80's the we in the UK have been obsessed with owning our own homes, (cheers Maggie) and in many European countries hardly anyone owns their own homes (in towns/cities) and it doesn't affect society at all.

£812 is a lot of money for one double bedroom, but I suspect the increased London salary must be worth it, or you could move to a cheaper part of the country. :)

Rob - HOW MUCH???

I'm paying 650 rent a month for a large one bedroom Victorian conversion flat in South London, I don't share, it's my own place.

Get your finger out fella and get looking for cheaper places, they're definitely out there.

JeRkY":1o19p922 said:
And pickle... I dont hate landlords...if I could be one, I would be one :)

You and me both :LOL: I was one a while back, about 2 1/2 years ago, but me and the wife sold up just before the market crashed :cool:

Maybe now is the time to buy again ;)

The crash is yet to come when interest rates go up....and up...

Bought my first house in 1990 at 14.75%. People don't believe you now, but when the economy goes bad all kinds of nasty things happen. The UK losing its AAA credit rating could make it happen very quickly.

yeah we rent our flat in the city centre of Exeter, it's nice, we have our own front door, our own front and back gardens (garden flat) and its in a quiet-ish (for city centre) road. We pay £450 a month which is a good really. Landlord is ace, when I was out of work he let me off a bit with the rent, and now, today has just been round and fitted @£20 square metre carpet to our front room and bedroom. I look after the upper level communal front garden area and am the only one that uses it, for BBQs etc in the summer after rides etc. He has said that if we want to buy the flat then that's cool too, which we might. Just not sure if I want the responsibility of owning the bugger. I won't be getting a mortgage if I do buy it, I'll source funds from elsewhere, but I'm not sure yet. I'd like a couple more years to make my mind up please.

hamster":ai0sz2yv said:
The crash is yet to come when interest rates go up....and up...
Hamster, you are SO right. I think that it's no coincidence that interest rates are so very low immediately before a general election....

Back