Paul Crosstops... Who's had 'em?

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
So I have a very nice set of what I believe are the second version.

Can add photos if required, but basically this is a little SOS call to any previous owners/riders/mechanics of said brakes on here...

Any advice when it comes to setting these up? I have the instructions, which are helpful to a point, but they start out saying they basically recommend a professional bike mechanic sets them up, so that's always a good sign!

:oops:

I've read they're a real pain in the arse to install/setup the first time, but offer plenty of modulation thereafter.

Anyway, I had a brief tinker yesterday, and while I think I understand the concept now, and how exactly they're supposed to work, I'm no closer to actually getting them to do so!

So.... Advice? Opinions? Anything obvious I should lookout for and/or avoid?

The instructions mention the application and removal of setup pin, which I'm almost certain I don't have, as the seller not only didn't include them, but I don't even see where on my model this would insert. Hoping that's not some kind of fatal oversight that leaves these uninstallable!

(Should have stuck with tried and tested cantis, I know. But I'm a sucker for the weird and wonderful offerings, an obscure/obsolete brake tech that were flying around during the golden era, before Shimano had their wicked way and got everyone switched over to V's forever and ever, until disks, thereafter.)

Hey @2manyoranges.

Cheers mate, have read through that several times already.

Have tried, and tried again several times to get them right, and am ashamed to say the LBS has taken over for now! They're a Paul stockist, and already chatting with the man himself for advice...

We'll see!

I figured they were truing the wheels, so they may as well take a look at the brakes for me at the same time!

I had the same problems. I followed the instructions, I did set them up apparently properly, but never managed to make them work they way a brakeset is supposed to. Look at this DBR. Weird carbon spoked wheels, Precision Billet rear derailleur, Paul Crosstops. A dream frame with nightmarish parts. Switched back to normal components...

Attachments

• dbr26.jpg
    dbr26.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 24
Back