PARTING OUT MY SEROTTA T-MAX PLEASE LOOK

haggis":1mk5toad said:
Have ended up in this thread through clicking through a series of links.

So a quick question. You claim these Chinese knock off Tune hubs are identical to the originals but how can you? How do you know these were made with the exact right grade of aluminium? and that all the impurities within the metal have been removed? How do you know the exacting and identical processes that are used in the construction of a Tune hub have been replicated in your hub? I think its a bit cheeky to be sticking Tune decals onto knock off hubs and claiming they are identical. In your posts you make reference to your contacts in China. Have a word with yourself. It's hardly anything special you are doing by phoning up china and getting some knock off goods rattled together. Anyone can phone these companies in China like XACD and get goods delivered cheap and cheerfully.

You know what, that's a great question! I know for a fact that the aluminum they use is 7075 T6 and the titanium that was used is a Grade 9 titanium alloy. These metals are 2 of the most common exotic alloy metals used for making components and frames. All I am trying to do is describe the hub & wheel set honestly and up front. I would think most people would appreciate that I was honest about the hub & wheel set being Chinese knock-offs rather then me lying and trying to sell them as the real deal. I also wasn't trying to be special for having Chinese contacts, I was only stating that the parts were made for me because I asked them to. And yes anyone can phone the Chinese and have parts made for them. What's wrong with that? Not everyone can afford a $600.00 hub set and a $800 wheel set. I just wanted the bike to look nice and if that mean's ordering parts from China then that's what I am going to do. Again, I think people would appreciate someone letting them know that the component that they are purchasing are either the real MacCoy or an imitation and that's all I was trying to do. Didn't mean to get you all bent out of shape by me describing a couple of components honestly. I'll check back with you when I describe a Chinese pacemaker that I am trying to sell to the Pope..........

But they're just telling you that it's 7075 and grade 9 Ti. The whole point if a knock off company is that they use cheaper parts, processes and materials to make something which is not of the same quality and sell it on cheaper to people like you who stick Tune stickers in them.

Now let's say you are being honest, (well done you as you clearly deserve a medal for that) what about the next person who comes across those hubs once the person you sell them to decides to get rid of them? Gets sold these hubs/wheels as the genuine article and then they snap as maybe the axle wasn't tempered, annealed, quenched or heat treated or whatever other metalurgical process (am not too sure as I've never made a hub) the hub would have received received if built by Tune? Goes clean OTB and gets his head smashed in and is a vegetable for the rest of his or her days?

I think it's very wrong for you to be labelling up fake goods as the real item.

This isn't a fake Gucci handbag we're talking about after all.

I sold a set of wheels a few years ago. MK1 Mavic Crossmax. I sold them cheap as spares and repairs as the rims were cracked at the eyelets but you had to look really quite hard to see them. Few months later the guy I sold them to had them for sale on another site for the full value of a what the wheels would have been worth if they had been perfect. Ticking time bomb.

If someone gets your hubs thinking they are Tune hubs and rides them like tune hubs then they could be in for a shock.

This seems a little unfair to the seller.

He is simply selling an item - and has described the parts accurately.

The hubs are not tune, but I wouldn't get too snotty about that > working in a bike shop I have seen 5 or 6 tune hubs crumble apart - the real deal. They are built for low weight not durability. You'd be safer riding these!

Now - I would personally be a little more concerned about using rim brakes on carbon disc-specific rims... But that's just me.

I don't think its unfair at all. His bikes are "Works of Art" built with knock off Chinese parts!

Back