Painting a frame - any advice?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have this dream - to find a nice frame, get it painted white and then somehow; in a controlled way, letting my 6 year old draw some pictures on it as he has a pretty cool style.

The first step is finding the right frame. I'd want it to be a keeper so on the lookout but after that, the painting is my next concern.

I'd want a nice white/blank canvas for the junior artist to work on, then once he's finished, applying any necessary decals and getting it clear coated. Any advice on what kind of paint job/powder coat I should go for?

I always fancied a turquoise bike but would this look as good/clear with the junior art work?

I had a Raleigh cajun back in the day and loved the colour scheme. Dark blue fading into turquoise then into white and could possibly go down this route but that might look a bit busy once the drawing is done.

Last but not least, rattle can or get someone to do the painting?

I'm hoping not to spend a huge amount as it could all go wrong creatively so any recommendations gratefully received. I used to be quite handy with a rattle can and achieved some nice fades back in the day, but that day was nearly 30 years ago now, plus I'd have to wait for the summer.

Oh, nearly forgot, pearlescent finish, good or bad idea?

wasnt there a thread just like this last week?
its a nice idea, the way i see it white base paint done proper job, rattle can if you have the weather, patience, prep etc. then nice colourful kiddie job, then clearcoat, again rattle can if you can should be fine, might be a bit delicate though. perhaps a proper job on the lacquer if you want to preserve it a bit?

EDIT: yep, heres the one i saw, similar topic...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=342753&start=10

The only real downside I can see to any of this is that you're gonna have to clean (de-greasy-fingerprint) and very lightly sand the frame before clearcoating it, you might want to test if your pens are going to stand that. Personally, I'd go for paint rather than ink pens. I did gold highlighting around the lugs on a road bike with a gold paint pen, that worked OK but I wore gloves and I'm not 6...

Yes, you'll want to clearcoat it, you can get 2K aerosols which, as long as you're careful, are pretty much as good as a pro clearcoat. Same stuff, it's only the way you shoot it that changes. One or two very light coats and then one "wet" coat. That's the one you need to careful about, because it's the one that really risks running.

I really like pearls. If you're going white, white primer, then as many thin coats of white pearl as you can bear to shoot to get a really deep finish. I'm tempted to try a gold ghost pearl over white pearl on my Sunn.

Oh, btw, if you think you can shoot it yourself, you'll save a ton of money. I was quoted 350 euros to do my Sunn, and I'd have to do all the prep. I already have all the gear, so paint costs are the only worry, white primer, pearl and clearcoat to do the bike came to 50 euros. Another 35 or so if I pull the trigger on a ghost pearl. Hell, you could buy a compressor, gun and mask, hire a studio for the day to paint in, and still come out cheaper.

Back