Pace Stem combo reproduction

Re: Re:

danson67":12ij4l2w said:
Any decent sources of lightish steel bars these days? 531 or such...those Reynolds 753 ones that turn up on Zinns wouldn't survive the welding.
What's the name of the Orange steel bar?

All the best,

Pretty sure Nitto will have something.

Re:

It looks like Nitto only do a swoopy ' North Road' one and the track drops on steel.
Were any of the Orange, Bontrager or Kona etc ones in steel?

All the best,

The ones orange did were a model called "hotrod" . I don't know if they were steel because they were anodized so there might be a possibility they're are made from an alloy.

Re:

All the HotRods I've seen have been alu, certainly from 1992-ish. Not sure what 'bars were on early Clockworks, sometimes these look painted (white), but I'm not sure these were known as HotRods anyhow.
I have got some bars in Reynolds 501, and Tange Prestige, both NOS from the 'Bay I recall. Would something like that work?

On some of the early clockworks it looks like the bars were painted in a satin black or white so you could be right, I think they were branded as hotrod's but not fully sure.

Re:

The bars in the picture are straight tubing, 99% of handle bars will be bulged in the middle, you may be lucky and find some that are shimmed.

Why not just get some Ø22.2 tube bent to the correct form?

Re:

Why not just get some Ø22.2 tube bent to the correct form?
I think that if I stuck with 22.2 plain gauge (which I could bend here, no problem), it'll need a pretty thick wall (0.058"?) to get the required stiffness at the stem joint and roughly match the stiffness of the stem itself (25.4/0.049" wall).
It might not be original, but a 25.4mm bulge formed bar gives the extra stiffness (+30%ish) next to the stem , while keeping it light out at the ends.

All the best,

Re:

Superb work Dan.

Raleigh made bulged steel bars in 501 (+ 531?), - standard spec' on many Dynatech's, so should be a few around

Back