Pace RC36 Evo II hard fork springs

beardy mike

Retro Newbie
Having lusted after a pair of Pace forks as a youth, I finally picked up a pair for my trusty 1998 GT Avalanche. The forks are the RC36 Evo II. I was somewhat surprised by the coil/air combo and didn't realise this was how they worked, and that if you're a fat bastard like me, you'll need a stiff spring to replace the stock medium one. I haven't opened them up yet to check, but I assume that's what I've got because they sag badly under braking and completely compress. I've put in 60 psi which is the max recommended. So what do I do? Pump the air chamber up more? The hard springs are like rockinghorse poo it would seem so unless someone has one they want to part ways with, I need to find a solution. I spoke to Pace and they have no intention of making any more and they don't have the drawings for them anymore. On line I've found a spring rate of 12.5N/mm and a spring size as follows: ~3.5mm wire, 210mm long, 20mm OD, 13mm ID for a medium, i.e. Hard will have larger diameter wire, and most likely the same length and OD, but a smaller ID. Does anybody have the correct dimensions? I now the Evo II was a progressively wound spring, but I'm guessing I'm not going to find an exact replacement so would have to go with hopefully a stock, straight wound spring. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Mike

I'm pretty sure I have some installed in mine with little use. Been awaiting to repair for some years as they don't hold air but are otherwise in great condition. I've had them since new but the hard springs were put in earlier this century, just before the air seal went. Always thought I'd use them again but haven't so far. Will have to dig them out for a look and see what the heart tells me!

Back