Pace fork with 1-1/4 steer tube

David Gibson

Senior Retro Guru
This is the first time I've seen a Pace fork with this size steer tube and I was wondering if this crown is special or do all of them have this ability:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Pace sold 1" 1/4 forks so nothing out the ordinary. The crowns were sized so 1", 1" 1/8 and 1" 1/4. They definitely did a shim to go from 1" 1/8 steerer to 1"but not sure about the larger size. But to answer your question no the crowns do not all have this ability. If you have a 1" or 1" 1/8 then you can't fit a 1" 1/4 steerer unless it is the larger size that has allready been shimmed down.

Last edited:
I often assumed the curved bulge part on the crown indicated possibility of accepting 1 1/4” (‘evolution’) sized steerers ? In this instance (see 📸) am running a 1 1/8” inch steerer… I guess a quick look in the Pace catalogue would confirm options + will take a closer look at mine also.

5E88E8F1-A6FD-4CC9-A6EE-701CF06BCDBD.jpeg

I think the bulged ones are 1 1/4, I've had a few and seem to recall only one with the bulge, and it had a shim down to 1 1/8.

The reason I was asking was because I was thinking of buying this fork but only if I could shim in down to a 1 inch steer tube. From you guys are saying though it doesn't look I would be able to do that. At least with a Pace shim.

1" fork crowns are flat across the front and back. 1 1/8" has a slight bulge on the crown but the 1 1/4" crown has a bigger bulge which terminates nearer to the top bolt holes. You can always shim a smaller steerer in but not a bigger one.

Yeah, all different crowns. And Pace do a 1-1/4" to 1" shim, may even have some in stock.

Back