Pace Fork Help - Steerer Options

nightfire

Dirt Disciple
I have a few pairs of Pace forks and I am trying to work out the best home for each of them.

1. RC31 420mm with Radiator crown 1 1/8"
2. RC31 440mm 1 1/8"
3. RC31 Ti 440mm 1"
4. RC30 1989 390mm 1 1/8"
5. RC35 MXCD 1"

Pair 1. were fitted to my Ferrous singlespeed which I now want to rebuild
Pair 2. were fitted to my Ferrous 29er which has a crack and I have retired as I would rather see it in one peice on my wall than spoil fixing
Pair 3 are on my RC200 but I feel are too long
Pair 4. are currently on an old Saracen Kili frame that is painted as a Ritchey and used by my Grandad to go to the club.
Pair 5. are in my filing cabnet!

Questions:

What length fork would my F4 (possibly F5) have been designed for? Would the RC30 be the right length (it's a bit more period if not too old)?
Can I use the 1" steerer from the RC35 in the RC30?
Can I get the steerer on my RC31 Ti changed to 1 /8" so I can use it on my Ferrous?

One of the remaining RC31 will go on my Ti X-lite until I find the X-Lite fork and I will end up with one spare.

Cheers

nightfire":2qt0jd7n said:
Questions:

What length fork would my F4 (possibly F5) have been designed for? Would the RC30 be the right length (it's a bit more period if not too old)?
The F4/F5 would have been specced with the later revision of the RC30. Length wise they may work OK.

Can I use the 1" steerer from the RC35 in the RC30?
Yes although you will need a Pace made reducing shim to fit the smaller steerer in the larger crown.
Can I get the steerer on my RC31 Ti changed to 1 /8" so I can use it on my Ferrous?
No, The RC31 crowns as you know use pressed in steerers and are securely bonded to the fork legs. The crown would need to be changed and this wouldn't be easily (economically) possible.

Shame about the RC31 ti forks, with having a 1" steerer they are not much use on any of my other bikes but are a little too long for the Pace. My own stupid fault, I have no idea why I didn't order them as 420mm when I bought them!

At least the RC30 should be the right length, I thing the 1994 version was still 390mm. These will need repainting though. Any idea where I may find the reducer?

Back