Over the bars...is this the worst crash?

Reading this tread has bought back many memories of crashes in the past. :oops:

May just push my bike home this evening! :shock:

:D :D :D

Hi Guys

Well it's nice to know my son can share some comfort in the fact that everyone falls - even his dad! :LOL: These stories make great reading...i think we should start COTM...Crash Of The Month..or is that tempting fate? As an ex roadie i think the MTB crew have better (nastier) tumbles than us roadies....but tarmac and skin don't mix too well either - ask my hip, elbows, hands etc...!

Keep up the stories as i'm hooked! :shock:

Longy

Crashes on the road hurt, but aren't as impressive.

Oh, & I will never carry a bunch of keys in my jeans pocket whilst popping round the corner again! :shock:

longendale":36489wsq said:
Keep up the stories as i'm hooked! :shock:

Longy

well ok... ;)
2mile long fast, loose rocky DH near my place. no real line & it changes a lot depending on motor-xers :evil: & rain ruts from heavy storms. end of a long ride & heading home, 1 minor impact & the titec/bonty 118 ti bar folds downward on the left side about 3in lower than where it should be. this is where time slows & I begin the "sh.tting myself, how much is this going to hurt" thought process as my steering & weight balance go all weird. I remeber having another big hit & being flung off the trail rag-doll style landing on broken scree & ferns with uncounted turns through the air.
lying there, getting my breath back the multiple body points of pain start to kick in. the front few inches of helmet above my forehead are missing.
then... wheres my bike! 92 fat ti went a good 20ft further through the ferns & aside from the obvious bent bar only a scuffed saddle its luckily fine.

long walk home with a banging headache & the 118bar sent off to jez@globalfridge a few days later.

Ziggy":k5gafdcv said:
Crashes on the road hurt, but aren't as impressive.

My worst ever crash wasn't on a MTB - it was on the velodrome at Welwyn. Clipped wheels during a Devil resulting in me sliding along the track at 30mph and someone else parking their bike between my legs! Wish I'd remembered my mitts that night too.

(The nurse who attended me in the medical room was far too attractive in that situation as well! Bit of compensation..... ;) )

SLIM":eailh5ne said:
"rode over him" :LOL:

adding insult to injury

My wife was riding in front of me on a Root strewn bit of single track and her back wheel slid on a root and wiped her out :shock:

I'm still not sure she believes me when I say I didn't have time to bunny hop her :oops: and that braking and skidding over her would have been much more painful than just riding straight over her at 20 mph :shock:

My worst crash was on the road :? I was doing about 25mph downhill down the outside of a traffic jam :? when a mini decided they'd had enough of waiting and did a three point turn right in front of me :shock:

I hit it square on right into the drivers door, flew over the roof and actually landed on my feet :shock: trouble is cleats aren't the grippiest things on tarmac so I skidded for a while then slammed my cocksics into the ground and managed to crack it and break my thumb as well :shock:

not a very guesome crash,but ihave a cool scar from,was when i first fitted dx pedals to my kona for street duties,i cornered a bit oo aggressively,the pedal hit the deck and dug in and pivoted the whole bike on it.my foot slipped off and the chainrings dug into the back of my leg,gouging out lumps of flesh,got a chainring shaped scar on the calf now.it looks proper!

Back