Outer brake casing diameter ?

Just a thought Rob! Thats 4mm gear cable outer casing ? Won't a larger brake cable inner cable jam or not thread through the 4mm outer casing ??

FINNEY1973":3w4n8zhr said:
.This has got me thinking also - any possibility that the hidden tube on some frames can only accept the cable? Or is it generally accepted that they 'should' accept the outer cable as well? Not something that's documented or commented on much.
My French frame has a full length brazed in tube, so to me well with my frame the whole outer cable goes through[i hope]

I hope to, else that's an unwanted ebay purchase! All my others accept the outer no drama, just the langdale that doesn't - I'll try a gear outer and see if that fits - if not then it's cable only I guess.

:facepalm: That's confused me as well. I definitely have 4mm Jagwire brake cable with the spiral wire and plastic inner sleeve. I bought a roll of ebay ages ago. I'm off to search!!

Evening all,

Mr Raleigh directed me here. I am a bit confused, my Van Tuyl and Look have hidden cables but the outers stop where they enter the frame. I am pretty sure that the Van Tuyl has some form of built in outer within the top tube. If you were threading the whole outer through the frame would you not end up with big loops where it enters and leaves the frame?

Richard

p.s. i will look for pics

Well that's a mystery. I've measured 6 different cables which are all 5mm but the Jagwire I have is 4mm. I thought I got it from the guys in Tenbury Wells, unfortunately I only have about a metre left.

http://jagwire.com/products/v/road_pro - say's 5.0mm on all road outers, 4.0mm on gear outers. Possibility that the ebay sales pitches aren't correct?

I have a hunch it's my frame and not the cable outers that are the issue.

As Richard has just suggested internal guides on some frames may differ to the norm?

TGR":1jbhc9ld said:
Evening all,

Mr Raleigh directed me here. I am a bit confused, my Van Tuyl and Look have hidden cables but the outers stop where they enter the frame. I am pretty sure that the Van Tuyl has some form of built in outer within the top tube. If you were threading the whole outer through the frame would you not end up with bit loops where it enters and leaves the frame?

Richard

p.s. i will look for pics

Evening Richard,

All the hidden cables I've come across have a built in plastic tube through the top tube. As you've said it would be near impossible to thread a new cable otherwise. I've replaced the cable on a few but never had the problem Ian's got of the brake cable diameter being to big :|

FINNEY1973":12bir90d said:
http://jagwire.com/products/v/road_pro - say's 5.0mm on all road outers, 4.0mm on gear outers. Possibility that the ebay sales pitches aren't correct?

I have a hunch it's my frame and not the cable outers that are the issue.

As Richard has just suggested internal guides on some frames may differ to the norm?

I've spent 30 minutes looking at brake cables online :facepalm:

You're right, the industry standard seems to be 5mm brake, 4mm gear. Maybe 4mm is some old stock size but I can't find anything about 4mm brake online.

Back