Ottadini frame no. 00133

csealey491

Retro Newbie
We are a charity, Camtrust, for adults with disabilities. Based in Cambridge we receive donated bicycles, restore them and sell them. All proceeds to Camtrust. We have been given this beautiful bicycle which is in excellent condition with original finish, half-chrome stays and Dura Ace chainset and derailleurs, Frame size 21 1/2 inches. We already know a lot about Colin Laing and the Ottadini brand but are unable to establish the frameset tubing he used; we believe Vitus. The photo's attached give a rough idea. Anyone know any more? Does anyone own the brand and hold an archive?

Attachments

• 2023-11-20 ottadini (1).JPG
    2023-11-20 ottadini (1).JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2023-11-20 ottadini (2).JPG
    2023-11-20 ottadini (2).JPG
    796.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 2023-11-20 ottadini (3).JPG
    2023-11-20 ottadini (3).JPG
    845.7 KB · Views: 40
He did make frames from Reynolds.

That's a cool donation. I like the wrapover stays and chromed rear + a fetching colour.

Like this colour, sorta Irish green. Don’t know this brand, stats are pretty. You could probably take off crankset to see whether bb is French or Italian size.

That looks well nice. Lovely colour.

I had an Ottadini tiime trial frame, back in the late 80's, and it was a mix of Columbus and Reynolds tubing because it was all curvy tubes and a custom build. He used what he needed to use to do the job. Seatpost bore diameter could give you a clue and frame weight if you break it down.

It really is gorgeous. Much want.

Edit....just remembered. I am sure that somewhere on the internet there is a forum where there was a big thread about Ottadini. If i remember correctly; i think his son popped up in the thread and had the build books so was able to tell people what they had in the way of tubing. Am sure it was Ottadini but can't remember the forum. Pretty sure it was american based.

Last edited:
Do you want to buy it? Can you recall where you found the Ottadini thread? We are near Cambridge. Best wishes, Charles (for Camtrust)

I have looked for the forum i was talking about, but couldn't find it. I did find Colin's son(Stuart) saying that the build books got lost in house moves so i was definitely getting my stories mixed up. Ottadini was owned by someone called Eddie something and he employed various builders to build the frames. Depending on the year your Ottadini may not be Laing built. It was info for me as i my frame was not Laing built as he was in america, at that time.

I would like to buy it, but the money isn't there to do so.

Latest posts

Back