Kestonian

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone got any recommendations on Home Theater. My criteria are

- small (ish) speakers. Not tallboys
- "wireless" rear speakers
- good enough to keep me happy, but not too expensive looking in case I get budget issues from the treasury :)
- having said that, budget not an issue up to 1k if it includes DVD or Blue Ray player
- preferably to reduce the number of remotes (ie: not one each for TV, cable, DVD, sound) although I would consider getting an all in one programmable one
- extra points if it's 2.1 but sounds as good.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch but the sounds from the TV alone isn't good enough (Sony KLV-40V400A). I used a Bose system in a hotel room recently and it sounded amazing in comparison.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's any help but I got a Denon 5.1 system a few years ago (inc DVD player) and it's so good I use it as my main music system as well as for movies. Came well within your budget as well. ;)

IF your sony has separate speaker outputs, connect these to a subwoofer with a high-level input and to some small quality speakers. You'll be amazed at how much better this will sound.

For everyday viewing, my TV is set-up this way - save turning on a truckload of equipment.

legrandefromage":3jh2wqrv said:
IF your sony has separate speaker outputs, connect these to a subwoofer with a high-level input and to some small quality speakers. You'll be amazed at how much better this will sound.

For everyday viewing, my TV is set-up this way - save turning on a truckload of equipment.

I'll take a look. I plugged my HK soundsticks off the computer into the headphone socket and it sounded far, far better.

I'm tempted by a new DVD player as well, as the one I have isn't HDMI so I don't get upscaling.

Kestonian":33u44g0b said:
legrandefromage":33u44g0b said:

I'll take a look. I plugged my HK soundsticks off the computer into the headphone socket and it sounded far, far better.

I'm tempted by a new DVD player as well, as the one I have isn't HDMI so I don't get upscaling.

I wouldnt bother - it just adds more video processing which in turn plays havoc with lipsync and video latency on LCD panels.

I've noticed that UK Sky broadcasts have contained good mixes for 2 channel analogue playback - new films and TV shows carrying their Dolby soundtracks are very well mixed making my OEM TV speaker/ Gale subwoofer combo sound pretty good.

I took apart my TV speakers and replaced the drivers/ crossover/ tweeters with better stuff and damped the cabinets a bit so there is less colourisation from the plastic cabinets.

but thats because I'm a geek.

Unless you have a £250 TV bought at Argos, you will find that the scaler inside the TV is better than the one in the upscaling DVD anyway. So save yourself the cash and use the normal DVD player.

Had same issues, wanted better sound for LCD/LED TV. Loved Bose, but did not want all the DVD/Tuner blah so just bought a Cinemate GS setup. Not surround, but amazing sound more than good enough for my living room. Effectively just takes optical sound signal from your TV (so from Blu-ray or whatever source is) and pumps it into the Acoustimass and front speakers. Works well for us and plenty of spare money for a Blu-Ray under your £1000...

picture quality on your big screens (anything over 32") all depends on whats being broadcast and how a DVD has been authoured/ mastered.

There are lots of piss poor DVDs that no matter what video processing you have, it will still look like a bad VHS rental. Most films have been 'digitally remastered' which helps but there are still a few duffers out there.

Satellite broadcasts are usually pretty good until you get to the backwater channels. The freeveiw channels that are also available on satellite suffer from nasty low bitrates that makes watching 'Dave' on a big screen an absolute nightmare. HD content is a bonus as this is simply broadcast 'as is' on standard definition which makes SD pictures far better. Sky Movies on my ancient 42" 525 x 768 plasma look amazing when compared to a badly athoured DVD.

These days, an expensive brand name player doesnt do that much better over a supermarket machine in terms of video quality. A lot of brands simply used the mechs and interface off cheaper models as I found out myself...

Where a more expensive DVD spinner is worth the extra is with the audio. Better implementation of the hardware means less electronic mush and interference which the digital decoders at the A/V receiver end can do a better job with.

HDMI is now the scart lead of the digital world. Yes, it may all be digital but you need a quality (but not overpriced) cable and quality implementation. SO, you'll need a good blu-ray and a good screen to enjoy it all properly. Cheap LCD screens and players really dont help - as with anything like that, you will get what you pay for.

Back