Original spec? No thanks...

I'm with the OP, but then again depends what the build is for... I do get the whole quest for "perfection" thing, having been there myself. In the end though I got bored of the bikes and sold them at a loss. Oh, apart from the ones that got stolen...

For me the whole retro thing is about resurrecting something unloved, and getting a brilliant bike for not very much money. Obsessing about build details/period correctness/catalogue spec is OK as a hobby/obsession but ultimately pointless. A good way to spend time and money, but not a very sensible way to build a practical bike.

What's most important is, does it work? Usually even with a brand new bike it needs a couple of tweaks and upgrades to make it useful.

bluetomgold":1wtoqkpu said:
For me the whole retro thing is about resurrecting something unloved, and getting a brilliant bike for not very much money.

Yep, love seeing a once great, but now dead, bike brought back and given a second life.

Notthisagain.jpg~c200

Resto? Period? Catalog? Who gives a flying crap. Build your bikes in whatever theme suits you. And if you're bent out of shape because of the way other people build their bikes, you need a new hobby.

6F2233CC-3919-4FFA-BA7B-9908E560FD50_zpsnnhygacq_1.jpg

Resto? Period? Catalog? Who gives a flying crap. Build your bikes in whatever theme suits you. And if you're bent out of shape because of the way other people build their bikes, you need a new hobby.

As the OP - I'm not sure I'm 'bent out of shape' by anything - let alone how people build their bikes! Sorry if this topic is a well trodden path - but hey-ho...
I suppose my original point was that change, non 'era', modding, non catalogue spec - is retro. I also love the principle of turning something unloved and unappreciated into a treasured ride - my frame and forks cost me £50 off eBay and most of the components are either 2nd hand or bits I've had for years.
I ultimately agree - build your bike, and ride it, how you like - vive la différence!
Now I'm just about to post about something truly original - the wonderful world of Zaskar...!

I love the idea of having period correct parts on a bike just as long as they all work well together and make me happy but i'm more interested in just having a bike that works and keeps me happy regardless of what the parts are tbh so build it as you see fit and most of all enjoy the ride ;) ..

Im with the majority. Started on boutique bike and the next was a frame forks, built from there.
I guess that was the same with everyone, as we wuz young :) Youre right into it. And you cant afford much, so you dress up your bike as you see fit. All that glitters, all mismatched. Happy in playing with your toys

@FJM
I think youve the wrong end of the stick, theres no argument here. :)

dyna-ti":2zb7hkac said:
@FJM
I think youve the wrong end of the stick, theres no argument here. :)

OP said he can't understand why people would have catalog spec bikes. It's bloody simple. Some (a lot of, actually) people on here collect bicycles. The reasons vary as much as the bicycles. The pic I posted has a resto mod, a period parts, and a catalog spec bike in it. The Paramount is the exact duplicate of the one I wheeled out of the showroom 25 years ago. I have it so I can look at it, no other reason. There are several others in the fleet that are there for the same sentimental reasons, or are somewhat rare. It's no different than the vintage car guys that have drivers and halo cars they only display/show.

Oh, and the thread in general.........
dead_horse.gif

FMJ":2hqcv28d said:
I have it so I can look at it, no other reason.
That's why I bought my 92 XTR. Lusted after one as a 13/14 year-old in 92 and the fact it's NOS means I will always want to keep it that way. If I could've built it that way, I probably would've. :p

Latest posts

Back