Orange P7 rust on rear triangle thoughts

jrbo124

Retro Newbie
Hi All, was just wondering if the rust on the bit that joins the two chain stays on the rear triangle is something I should be worried about? Also any suggestions on how to improve/seal it if possible. Thanks!

Attachments

• P7 rear triangle bottom.jpg
    P7 rear triangle bottom.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 36
Looks like its taking hold, but you might have caught it. I'd rub it down and see how far it's eaten in - you'll get a better picture then. If it's not too bad then consider treating and a rattle can respray of the affected area. If it's potentially toast then no harm in sanding it down. If it looks OK then you've saved it and can fix with rudimentary products available from a hardware shop.

Mine had similar surface rust but wasn't so far along. Paint was flaking all over the place. Had it resprayed by Orange, which was a fantastic job.

Agree with @markoc You'll have to rub it down to see how far gone it is before passing any judgement, if only surface rust, treat it and respray, if only chainstay support is toast then a good welder could replace that bit, if it's affected other areas then frame will technically be toast

As above. Peace of mind that what you are riding is solid. Rub it down, I'd go to the welds and see if the chain stays are ok. If it's surface, treat it with kurust or similar as this kills the rust, then prime and paint. Worth doing this well as it's in an area that will get all sorts thrown at it.

I had a clockwork that had a repair in that area and the paint had come off. Little rust thankfully but I still repainted the full stays as a precaution and to aid blending of the paint. I used the weld lines to help with the blending where new paint met old.

Thanks for the advice this is really helpful will give that a whirl later this week and see how bad the damage is! Cheers 👍

I picked up some Rustins rust remover and had a go at it. Parts of it came up quite well but the side nearest the BB is very pitted and doesn't look great where the weld meets the chainstay. I took a few pics if you have any thoughts on those? I'm guessing based on the above I should probably strip the paint further and inspect a wider area, right? Cheers in advance

IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3990.jpg

Given the thickness of the tubing, that looks like it could be fixed. Would need properly cleaning up and rubbing back (ie to shiny metal), which would identify any pinholes or areas where the rust has penetrated more.

However, I am not an expert - and others will have similar experiences.

As above, the steel gauge looks quite substantial.
I would remove the paint beyond the welds (as you’ve done on the left hand side) to properly assess.
Remove all traces of rust with a wire brush to get into any pitting.
Apply rust treatment following manufactures instructions … don’t try to rush things. Once rust is treated, apply undercoat and paint.
Edit… I should have mentioned, before doing any of this you need to thoroughly degrease the area.

Back