Orange Formula

Re:

To be honest Pete i'd happily pay that for the repair and respray if I knew that was all the frame needed and got it for the price it ended at. Unfortunately I think I would have had to pay considerably more and couldn't take the risk.

I would agree it's a risky business not seeing such a neglected bike in the flesh. I personally found the more pictures taken of this Formula the more goosed it looked. However, it's still a good project for someone who's willing to chuck the kitchen sink at it, with a big wallet. Also I think the long complex sales history of this brought the price and interest down.. I was initially willing back in December to pay £800 for it, and a few others were willing to pay a bit more but it never sold. The second time it was up for auction i was willing to pay a Maximum of 350 which i bidded thereabouts, as my interest had waned considerably. This time couldn't even be bothered, just lost confidence and interest in the whole thing. Just hope it's going to be restored finally!

Re: Re:

pete_mcc":2idlvwta said:
brocklanders023":2idlvwta said:
Anyone here rescue it?

I'll guess that with the shill bidding in that auction he bought it from himself...again. Probably be back up again shortly with a 'buyer didn't pay' sob story

brocklanders023":2idlvwta said:
Just couldn't take the risk that it's not salvageable mate. Had a thought that maybe this chap bought it only to be told by a frame builder it was scrap.

I think I mentioned before but a frame builder once told me that the only way to economically restore a 753 frame is to ensure that frame is brand new and unridden. £200/250 for the tube and fix, another £150/£200 for the respray (if you're doing it properly), then add on the cost of every part on that bike needing replacing.

Agree with this Pete. I'm unsure if there is an economical way of repairing this. To do it properly will cost.

I still maintain if the original listing was a little more honest, the seller would have served himself better.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1etkhdoj said:
To be honest Pete i'd happily pay that for the repair and respray if I knew that was all the frame needed and got it for the price it ended at. Unfortunately I think I would have had to pay considerably more and couldn't take the risk.

Agree with you, if it were a £200 bike then ploughing £6-800 in might be an idea but if that is 653 or 753 and the demonstrable neglect of the bike is consistent across the bike then the seat tube will be just the first of the worries!

I replaced the seat tube of a Yeti Ultimate which is a mammoth undertaking but that bike is made of gas pipe in comparison to this and so the risk was minimal

Re:

pete_mcc":3m45xcy7 said:
Agree with you, if it were a £200 bike then ploughing £6-800 in might be an idea but if that is 653 or 753 and the demonstrable neglect of the bike is consistent across the bike then the seat tube will be just the first of the worries!

Indeed, with that much internal tube damage, I would dread to think what is potentially seized into that frame :(

Cheshire1980":j0dbvykw said:
I was initially willing back in December to pay £800 for it, and a few others were willing to pay a bit more but it never sold.

And therein lies the issue, the seller has been convinced by the level of previous interest that he owns the Holy Grail, and no matter what prospective buyers who now know the truth about the condition of the frame tell him, you won't convince him otherwise.

It will keep popping up, as will these threads until he either takes it to the tip, or allows it to sell for a realistic price.

Re:

Hmmm, three wind chimes at £500 a piece......................that might just work. With an ebay ad that included the words "retro" "kult" "Klein" (no mention of Orange of course) and chuck in the odd bit of bullshit like "super rare" "opportunity of a lifetime" etc. etc. then some poor gullible sap will surely fall for it right? :LOL:

How about napkin rings, you'd get 50 or 60 of those at least. Just make sure you don't use white napkins though, maybe a nice orange to compliment the rust

Back