Orange Clockwork questions - help my sieve of a memory

Dan_Trials

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon all. Hopefully some of can help me piece some bits of information together as I begin to think about another bike I've always wanted, an Orange Clockwork. I remember some very specific things, and some other bits are a bit blurry, or just not there at all. I am trying to get down to a specific year of Clockwork, so that I can find and build the correct bike. I have posted this in the 98 onward section as I believe it to be correct.

Things I think remember:
- It was late 90s or very early 2000s
- Rigid Clockwork, with the one piece chainstays and I am 99% certain the forks had the rounded shoulders, not the bulky ones like some of the later ones had
- The pictures I saw were in an MBUK bike test
- The bike in the pictures was blue, possibly called "Moon Blue"
- It had a 4 arm chainset, I'm tempted to think LX, but maybe not.
- I really really think it was 1-1/8th steerer, or more specifically not a quill stem.
- I think it had canti brakes, but could have been V's.

Things I need help with:
- What year of Clockwork would this make it? From what I can tell it could only have been 98 or 99, but this only from the limited info I have found so far on Google searches etc.
- Does anyone happen to have the MBUK review of it? If you do (and you could scan it in for me etc) you are a star of the highest order!
- Does anyone have any pics of a Clockwork from around that time?
- Does anyone have any info for this era of Clockwork, anything much appreciated, but most importantly what frame I should be looking for.

Yeah, so, if anyone can make head or tail of these extremely vague bits and pieces to go on, please help if you can. I'm sure you all know what it's like when you have an itch from so long ago that needs to be scratched!

Thank you all.

Too new for me to help but have you checked out the catalogue scans in the archive here?

Too new for me to help but have you checked out the catalogue scans in the archive here?
You sir, are nothing short of a legend. (Although I was already aware of the archive, but brain = sieve!).
So I am reckoning it would be a 1998. If I remember right it was £500, which to a 15 year old boy in 1998 was a lot of money 😄

I have this exact bike in moon blue - the rigid fork version. The fork is the F8 one which has the distinctive non-rounded shoulders (some might say clunky looking but they grow on you!). I can post some pics if you’re interested...

I have this exact bike in moon blue - the rigid fork version. The fork is the F8 one which has the distinctive non-rounded shoulders (some might say clunky looking but they grow on you!). I can post some pics if you’re interested...
Yes please do, I would love to see them.

Here's a few photos of mine. It's all original except for the wheels, seatpost and saddle. The decals were very tatty when I got it, so I removed what was left of them (aside from the few letters visible here on the top tube). I've not managed to find the right decals for 1998 online, so I'll have to get some custom ordered at some point. It's a joy to ride, and comes in at about 11.3kg which seems pretty decent to me. You can really see the quality of the frame construction – I'm guessing these are brazed rather than welded, as the joins are so neat, but I'm not sure about that. No doubt some Orange fans on here will know...(I'm more of a road than MTB person, so I'm far from knowledgable about these, really...).

Attachments

• IMG_2616.JPG
    IMG_2616.JPG
    857.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    871.5 KB · Views: 23
Here's a few photos of mine. It's all original except for the wheels, seatpost and saddle. The decals were very tatty when I got it, so I removed what was left of them (aside from the few letters visible here on the top tube). I've not managed to find the right decals for 1998 online, so I'll have to get some custom ordered at some point. It's a joy to ride, and comes in at about 11.3kg which seems pretty decent to me. You can really see the quality of the frame construction – I'm guessing these are brazed rather than welded, as the joins are so neat, but I'm not sure about that. No doubt some Orange fans on here will know...(I'm more of a road than MTB person, so I'm far from knowledgable about these, really...).
Very nice, looks great in that colour!

I guess if you do ever need the right decals, let me know – I might have actually designed and ordered some by then!
It’s still on the want list just now, although I have seen a green one, seems very original, but it would have to blue for me, dare I respray it?

Back