Orange Clockwork? Prestige? Frame weight and feature help

Re:

Can't believe I didn't notice the frame weights on this old stif advert
Weight difference clearly shown as 0.5lb between clockwork and prestige
Which is 226g
So
Considering production variations and having a gusset plate welded to the main frame, a weight difference of 212g seems close enough to suggest the 93 frame is a prestige
This also makes sense if it was raced
As suggested before it doesn't make sense why someone would race a clockwork

The clockwork canti stay may just be one of those 'orange' manufacturing anomalies they are so we'll know for.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_203625.jpg
    IMG_20200111_203625.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 476
Well Chris, my frame and forks together weigh 6lbs 9oz and it's an XL, so not sure your Stif ad can be relied on.. Is it pre-'93 range, perhaps? I have an MBUK from July '95, and the Stif ad shows identical weights for the C16 and the P7- 4lbs 4oz (for just the frame- they don't specify the size though..). Brocklander said that Orange continually lightened their custom tubesets after '93. I wouldn't be bothered about whether your frame is Prestige or not, I'd just choose the decals I like best. With that rear brake cable hanger, reckon it's an Orange custom tubeset- your call though, it's your bike!

Re:

It’s not a Prestige unless the canti mount has a hole. It would also be late for a Prestige as I don’t think many if any were made in 93.

Why couldn’t a Clockwork race? Orange’s reputation was built on people racing Clockworks!

The significant frame weight changes happened between 88 and 93 for the Clockwork.

The c16 and p7 were the same weight because the p7 was built to be strong, not light and it was not a direct replacement for the Prestige. Lightweight racing duties were taken up by the Vit-T or Elite after the Prestige.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1iw8zz4e said:
I think they are both Clockwork's mate, with the 93 having been modified (removal of rack mounts, that head tube brace).

I'd agree with that.

chris-hodge":1iw8zz4e said:
As suggested before it doesn't make sense why someone would race a clockwork

Clockwork's were at every race I did in the first half of the 1990's, the standard club racers Mtb. Couple of guys in our club had them.
I had a.1993 Prestige (they did still make them then Brocklanders023, maybe the last year they did? ) and can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of other Prestiges I saw at races tbh.

Re:

You could certainly still buy the Prestige in 1993 and it was available in the 1993 model year but I've not seen many actually built (according to the serial number) in 1993. Maybe a batch or two though before moving to the own brand tubes and p7 from mid 1993 on.

Re:

Gusset is a bit weird....when I bent my Prestige back in the day it bent about half way down the top and down tubes. New frame from Orange at cost...good knowing some O-rangers at the time!

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":h4n6jug7 said:
You could certainly still buy the Prestige in 1993 and it was available in the 1993 model year but I've not seen many actually built (according to the serial number) in 1993. Maybe a batch or two though before moving to the own brand tubes and p7 from mid 1993 on.
Absolutely, the 93 model was a redesign compared to the 92 model, but that 93 model was sold as 93 and 94 models iirc.
Of course most these are made in 1992 for the following year.

I have no idea on batch numbers but other can collect, there are plenty around to get them off.

Re:

Thanks all for the updated info

Its a frame number is A305blablabla
so a may 93
maybe for model year 94 then perhaps

i always wanted a clockwork so i am happy to lean more to the consensus of a clockwork and go with that
the tube set is defo completely different to the previous model year frame i have, it 'pings' differently and the tubes are different sizes
i did also not the text that says "on some models the weight has been reduced by up to 250grams" from 92 to 93 so that would add up

93/94 orange clockwork decals from Gil_m shall do nicely

if someone has a use for very good condition 92 but requiring a light coat of paint (its already been rubbed down with scotchbrite for painting) then i could be tempted to part with it (no forks)
or
if someone has some forks they could part with then the 92 could go back in the que for restoring

thanks again all

Back