Old XTR or New XT V Brakes?

ExpertBlay

Gold Trader
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
How would oldskool Shimano XTR M950/952 v-brakes compare with the newer Shimano Deore XT BL-T780?
Not sure what to stick on my Pashley 26MHZ build, i have a spare set of old XTR in the garage but i have always felt they feel a bit spongey.

The XTR will certainly be the worst part of the build and try to kill you at every possible opportunity, better send them my way to be safe. 😜

Well set up XTR are awesome and serviceable but fit whatever suits best. The only sponginess I've ever felt from XTR's is flex in the frame or fork.

As above, xtr are great brakes if nice and tight. They went through a few iterations as m950, then m951 was introduced (spring at parallel linkage). The issue with them is the play developing at the linkage. As the brakes can be rebuilt, you can dial this out with new thin washers. Shimano did provide a rebuild kit for this purpose but hard as hell to find (unless you are lucky to already own a few ;)). I think of the various ones the m951 is best.

The XT brakes are also decent, have used a set on a build with no complaints and have a set stashed away for when good v brakes are hard to find (along with some m970s and some of the posher avids, mag, ti).

In my experience every single V brake does the same job to the same degree. I've gone down this rabbit hole before and it's costed me dearly, but with koolstop pads and a proper setup there's virtually no difference between cheap and expensive. At least with modern stuff... I've had some low end diacompe on some of my 90's Specialized bikes that were utter crap, but I still think they could have been salvaged. My honest opinion is that the cheap modern stuff, tektro and shimano is way superior to any of the old ones. My favourite being BR T610 Deore brake, it's beaten every single v brake I've ever owned, including the very expensive Paul's Components jobby

In my experience every single V brake does the same job to the same degree. I've gone down this rabbit hole before and it's costed me dearly, but with koolstop pads and a proper setup there's virtually no difference between cheap and expensive. At least with modern stuff... I've had some low end diacompe on some of my 90's Specialized bikes that were utter crap, but I still think they could have been salvaged. My honest opinion is that the cheap modern stuff, tektro and shimano is way superior to any of the old ones. My favourite being BR T610 Deore brake, it's beaten every single v brake I've ever owned, including the very expensive Paul's Components jobby
Agree; get the best possible pads around, fit on a shimano deore or avid and you have the best possible v brake action.

As above...parallel push fine....until the linkages get loose....then not the best.

Also agree that modern deore is basically indistinguishable from the more expensive xt in all but looks. Pads are deffo the answer. Ive had great success just by upgrading old pads...i go for bbb tri compound ones......seem good in all conditions......but plenty to choose from.

given it's going on a trails bike I'd have thought Magura would be the option. little brings back memories of riding in the park like a the honk of mag's with a ground rim and silly soft pads.

if you are sticking with V brakes then I'm with this lot, modern with good pads is the answer to your woes.

Latest posts

Back