Old Raleigh Racing bikes (1980's) spec's.

Re:

Way way too expensive.

I had one of these a couple of years ago , lovely bike to ride and not too heavy. Sold it about 18 months ago with nice new paint for £150. I thought at the time I was asking top money so £250 is taking the mickey.

This looks half sensible:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-retro ... 27e3fe09f4

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Veloc ... 4d1d1c566a

(will need a new wheel/rim though!)

In essence, and from experience, unless you pay top dollar you are going to get a bike (from eBay) that is slightly ratty and will require, as a minimum, a full strip down/re-grease/clean

As with my Team Corsa, I thought it was going to need a full respray before I stripped it down, but now its been cleaned up the slight patina adds to the vintage and no one has ever seen it and commented that its ratty...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Have never owned one or ridden one, but I know there are a 'few' people out there that have, and that ended up having frames changed due to 'issues'

I even bought a Raleigh Ti frame recently that was an exchange for a broken Dyna Tech

Having said that, I'm sure they can't be all bad...!

Re:

Raleigh kelloggs pro tour and raleigh eclipse (both reynolds 501) are pretty good aswell.

I have both raleigh 501 and 531 bikes, there is virtually no difference in weight or performance/handling.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Old Raleigh Bikes

Hi I'm a newbie on this forum. A couple of years ago I bought a Team Raleigh, see attached photo. It has dual brake levers and Sachs rear dérailleur. The cable guide on the bottom bracket is hiding the serial number. Can any of you retro experts able to tell me what the likely year of manufacture of the bike is and is.

Cheers for you help.
David

Attachments

• Team Raleigh.jpg
    Team Raleigh.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 894
Back