Old hubs new rims

Foreigner

Senior Retro Guru
What is the general consensus on reusing vintage hubs, say 1950's Harden or Airlites or Campagnolo laced onto new rims, something like Mavic Open Pros or similar? Would the VCC brigade come guns blazing if such heresy be seen on a similar (50s / 60s) age frame?

Am I to linger forever in Dante's Inferno ?

What is the general consensus on reusing vintage hubs, say 1950's Harden or Airlites or Campagnolo laced onto new rims, something like Mavic Open Pros or similar? Would the VCC brigade come guns blazing if such heresy be seen on a similar (50s / 60s) age frame?

Am I to linger forever in Dante's Inferno ?
I have Campag Gran Sport on MA2's. You can join me on the at the bottom....

Makes two of us - have few pairings like that. Love MA2, they look good with 28mm tyres on, unlike some others.
I've got some MA2s on Shimano RX100 as backups.
But I've gone tubular since some came with a frame I bought 2 years back.

Campy Record / Nuovo Tipo + Mavic Monthlery Route + Vittoria Rubino 28mm
(large flange) Campy Nuovo Tipo / Sunshine 5345 + Mavic Monthlery Pro + Vittoria Rubino 28mm

And they look fabulous :)

I've got some MA2s on Shimano RX100 as backups.
But I've gone tubular since some came with a frame I bought 2 years back.

Campy Record / Nuovo Tipo + Mavic Monthlery Route + Vittoria Rubino 28mm
(large flange) Campy Nuovo Tipo / Sunshine 5345 + Mavic Monthlery Pro + Vittoria Rubino 28mm

And they look fabulous :)
I bet they do, but they are all vintage (read old ) rims to be honest. I'm talking proper modern, e.g. on sale today, like these https://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s436p1565/Mavic_Open_Sport_Elite_Road_Rim_700c_-_Silver

I'm not really a fan of anodised rims.
But that could easily be because I use old rims and the anodising shows scratches/oxidisation,
whereas non-anodised silver rims you can polish.

Back