old Hi Fi

It is physics for speaker size - you need a large speaker to create bass and move air hence a sub. Clever porting and engineering creates a large sound from small enclosures but as this requires money and investment, it doesnt happen much.

The drivers inside the sound bars are identical to those in the flat TVs. Its only the inclusion of a sub that generates the low end adding back what a driver inside a decent enclosure would do. As before, Sony do a NFC subwoofer so even the sound bar is redundant.

And dont forget, a soundbar is just a crap box with crappy small drivers in it usually mated to an equally crap sub with a pissy 6" driver trying to do the job that two shelf speakers can do far more efficiently - its the bullshit baffles brains of ooh its wireless - big whoop - as already shown you can make anything wireless for the price of a couple of downloads.

Its the £69 'mountain bike' all over again.

As for space - A sky box is now too big compared to what others can do. DVD player, redundant if you have a blu ray player and if your telly is 'smart' and wifi enabled, online streaming makes just about all the above redundant. More electronic waste that the fairies take away and magic to nothingness with no pollution whatsoever... Something that makes quite a few people itch over the waste of it all - just google where old CRTs end up.

Going back to making it sound good - a sub with a high level input will do a good job. you can connect anything to one of those via the speaker out. Then you can run small shelf speakers wherever you wish, cat friendly, child friendly and most definitively wife friendly.

Wireless speakers are getting cheaper for surround sound film fans so wires are no longer the issue they were.

Its all there for those that want to but I guess the Argos catalog is too easy.

Bats":nossxceg said:
In all honesty most people were still buying rubbish back in the 80s, it just looked more impressive because it was big enough to count as furniture.

dixons_1987_20.jpg

Here mate :evil: dont you be messin' with my 80's memories.
I got that Saisho record player and i was over the moon about it. I took it everywhere even to the isle of Skye :LOL: I was working as a Butcher up there and living above the shop so needed my stuff with me.

When the job finished i actually hitch hiked back to Glasgow with record player and at least 20 albums plus all my other gear,tools etc :LOL: :LOL:

My first lot of hifi bought with the money from my satutday job.

The arcam cd player added much later, also stuff on top shelf (blame ebay for that).

At the time i could only afford analogue tuner so the one that is on came later, used to go to BATS corporation st b'ham to drool over the top end sony kit. Still going strong and sounding fine after 30+ years.

Attachments

• CAM00159-1.jpg
    CAM00159-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 692
^^^ bottom pic, is that pioneer? I recognise top item as tuner, bottom is cassette - dual capstan? One of the middle would be power amp, is the other a pre-amp?

Re:

I've still got a Sony stack system that I bought with my holiday job money back in about 1985 in boxes in the attic:

p007i1.jpg

Last time I tried it, it all still worked, with the exception of some of the lamps.

Back