OK, tell me about the Kona Hot...

On a slightly different note...

Hot doesn't mean anything in Hawaiian unlike most of the Kona names (they don't have 't' in their alphabet) BUT it does mean 'threat' in Swedish which sounds quite appropriate for a bad-ass machine :D

Either way I'm happy!!! :cool:

And just added a non-retro 2006 Humu cruiser to the collection. They were so cheap, me and my friend each bought one. Brand new from the box, too :D

Nice to have a commuter again...or a sixth wife ;)

Excellent info. Does that mean you welded my Hot?

My partner Brian Caulfield did most of the welding. A friend of ours Woody Woodruff did the rest. After we closed Enigma, Brian went on to build bikes under Kavik Bicycles and Woody continued the BMX line under Enigma Racing. We both worked for Frank Wadelton for a number of years building bikes so we have built alot of other peoples frames over the years. It's amazing how intimate the biking industry was back then. Ahhh...the good old days. ;)

JeffB":dvow8d1q said:
Excellent info. Does that mean you welded my Hot?
My partner Brian Caulfield did most of the welding. A friend of ours Woody Woodruff did the rest. After we closed Enigma, Brian went on to build bikes under Kavik Bicycles and Woody continued the BMX line under Enigma Racing. We both worked for Frank Wadelton for a number of years building bikes so we have built alot of other peoples frames over the years. It's amazing how intimate the biking industry was back then. Ahhh...the good old days. ;)
The first 853 Hot appeared in the 96 catalogue and should have gone on sale in the autumn of 95, so clearly if you started your company in December 96 you didn’t build the 96 frames. But it was still in the catalogue in 97 and 98, so I guess those were the ones you built.

I always assumed that Tom Teesdale built the Hots only up to the 95 model year and only out of Prestige, but he does say he was involved up until 95 and he does work with 853 now, so maybe it was he who built the 96 Hots, in 1995. And maybe the mention of Altitude Cycles in the 97 catalogue (which would have been produced in early-mid 96?) referred to a new deal that never came off.

Did you build the bikes in one big batch? i.e., there was no ‘custom’ element, it was just ‘US-built’ that was the magic ingredient?

Re: Hot

haggis":2oo6sgkt said:
Has anyone asked Kona?
I think Kona might well help you as an owner with a specific enquiry about your own bike - it's clearly a 96 model with original paint, but if you asked Tech whether it was built by Teesdale or by somebody else, I expect he'd give you an answer. Mind you, we might be able to glean something ourselves from the serial number on the bb shell.

Tech has always been very helpful with my irritating questions about old frames, and I always get an answer within 24 hours.

Back