OK. So I've just accidentally won this on eblag.........

Re:

It was kind of the colour that did it for me (and the 1" head tube). Although the decals are pretty worn, the paint looks to be in reasonable condition so I'm hoping it will polish up nicely.

If it is 92-3 then I can just about get away with my U.S.E. forks on it- maybe. I'm just hoping its not too big. Got my fingers crossed that its got geometry more like a late 80's early 90s frame and the top tube isn't too long.

If the frame turns out to be a good 'un I think I'll be needing to talk XC Pro with you Ian. :D

Re:

92 at the latest, not 93
Like I say it's not in the catalogue, in fact pretty much everything was steel and normal in them.

Re:

So the plot thickens........

I now have the frame in my hands and it is lovely. :cool: Needs new decals, but these are over the lacquer so I'll see what Gil can sort out for me in the new year. The paint is in remarkably good condition, there are a couple of spots that need attention, but otherwise it just needs a polish.

However.......

It seems that it is a hybrid frame as it takes 700c wheels, but doesn't have inserts for down tube shifters/cable stops.

There are THREE numbers on the frame, two on stickers under the lacquer;

One on the the bottom bracket: 00118963

& one on the down tube, just above the BB 'lug': 00246440

There is also a stamped number on the BB (Opposite the sticker) which is either:

87000113 or 89000113 I'm guessing the 87/89 may be a year code? I couldn't pick it up in the photographs- it's a bit dark in the man cave.

Attachments

• IMG_4127.JPG
    IMG_4127.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 577
Re:

Oh oh oh when I was looking 700c/roadie frames cropped up but I ignored them as I assumed 26".

Now if only I could remember how I noticed them in whatever search it was :-(

Re:

A bit like this
252451190776_1.jpg

Re:

That looks remarkable similar, well spotted.

Do you have a link to the original picture?

I'd nt even considered it might be 700c given the canti mounts & no means of attaching down tube shifters, but I guess it was a tourer and had bar end shifters.

This could be fun- Or I could sure a set of retro Renthal bars & build a very upmarket tracker bike. :D

I must admit my googling did suggest hybrid but I assumed 26 inch wheel and narrow tyres for some reason. You could get a disc mount drop out made and create a retro mod hybrid or cc bike, or get some 700c rims and mate them to some xcpro hubs, run flat bars and you'll have a retro 650b or is it 29er, I forget which.

Re:

Unfortunately, the non-drive side dropout isn't replaceable, so a disk drop out it's possible.

But, I do like the idea of a retro-mod CX build. There are some steel Dawes hybrid forks on eblag at the moment, so they're on the watch list.

I think the XC Pro will be going on the Zaskar now. I quite fancy the idea of a 'catalogue build' with a bit of a difference.

Back