Officially car and van free....a new life begins!

Public transport is incredibly expensive. In Denmark, I take the tram once in a while if I want to hike in some of the northern woods, which is fairly cheap, luckily. But city busses as an example will cost you a fortune. I would love to see public transport made free. In the northwest of Jutland, the mainland peninsula here, took initiative and made their local busses free. I like that.

Unfortunately such changes are being challenged by the pandemic of 'sharing economy' start-ups. Privatised companies, hiring people, mostly minorities from bad socio-economic backgrounds, with little to no training or safety regulations. This is not to say that many legitimate, licensed taxi companies aren't dodgy - I personally have never trusted taxis to the point where I have always discouraged my better half of ever using one to get around.

I think the question of personal safety is actually an interesting point that many people don't bring up in relation to public transport and other alternatives to driving about in a car (cycling, walking, electric scooters). I can see how, particularly women, may feel safer driving in a car at night, as you're not as exposed, though I fear that this is more of an issue in the more populated European nations. I can share from my experience, cycling everywhere, that I often encounter women at my 2-3 AM night cycles coming home from the town, mostly people working late shifts and some that have had a little tipple. And often I'll see younger girls walking home drunk, and there are plenty of long stretches with little to no lampposts. I never really gave it much thought until some months ago, where I read that many Danish women feel uncomfortable walking or cycling at night. It made me sad. As a person who adores the night time, and often goes for long walks in the pine forests and out to the endless country roads in the middle of the night, I couldn't imagine fearing for my own safety. I often have wondered if I've ever spooked some people who found themselves out in the middle of the night, but I always try to wish people a good evening.

Whether or not we will be able to make people feel truly safe when out in public, particularly at night, is hard to know. But I'd still argue that even with all the horror stories that we do hear, driving a car is far more dangerous for yourself and for others. Statistically. All I can say is, I am happy I do not live in a city or a suburb. Because with fast paced, densely populated areas, it's near impossible to tackle the issue of violence and sex crimes. I know that sounds like a proper downer statement, but honestly it's clear that it isn't getting much better. The best thing people can do is teach a broad sense of communal responsibility, you have to look out for one another and always listen to your gut feeling. And if you have to be a midnight vampire like myself, you'd be better off walking around in a dense bit of woodland. I don't bite, I sip. Beers.

Last edited:
My wife and I were car free for about 7 years, not including when we lived in cities and had no need of one. When we moved to the countryside it became a challenge, but we managed with buses, trains, and of course bikes. It got harder as the bus schedules got worse. My wife also isn’t a particularly keen cyclist, though she gamely commuted to the train station all that time.

I will admit we didn’t do it to be kind to the environment, but because neither of us had a UK license (we’re from the States). Although I have a lot of experience driving, I failed my first test here and was so traumatised (only half joking) that I refused to take it again for all that time. Finally the inconvenience got to be too much and I took the damn test again, passing with flying colours because I wised up and took lessons - which as everybody knows, are not meant to teach you how to drive, but how to pass.

Unfortunately there’s no way we could do without a car now, for a variety of reasons. We drive very little, but when you need it, alas, you need it.

Back