Odd weld or crack on Cannondale M2000 bottom bracket?

callFromTheGrave

Dirt Disciple
I picked up this M2000 some time ago. What does Retrobike think of this weld at the bottom bracket area, looks weird to me but I don't see any hole here. Is this normal for old Cannondale?

It had been ridden very hard from the state of the components, cracked Ritchey crankset and not much left of other components... Wouldn't be surprised if it is stress fracture.

Attachments

• 20240110_220430.jpg
    20240110_220430.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20240110_220506.jpg
    20240110_220506.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 107
Think it's a gonna mate.

If you know someone with a welding torch who could band-aid it for a few beers to make a pub run-about bike go for it. Otherwise, not worth the hassle IMHO. The rear mech hanger plate may well be worth something still.

If you know someone with a welding torch who could band-aid it for a few beers to make a pub run-about bike go for it.
If you can get mates rates ally welding then being underneath it can hide a gusset to make it stronger. Tacking into some more virgin metal away from the crack might be easier to weld. In the BB area I bet the aluminium is soaked in old grease/oil/degreaser/chain lube,turtle wax etc. which might make it a pig to weld, Al is very porous, any contaminants soak in and boil up under the heat of welding making a stable weld pool impossible/difficult/pigeons did it. Seems a shame as it looks quite clean and tidy otherwise.

Reactions: Woz
Agreed, OP - it does look a bit odd. The first pic definitely looks like a large crack. The second looks like a weird weld.

What would lean me towards thinking it is a crack is how tidy Cannondale welds generally look, even on the rest of the frame. It's hard to imagine it would have got out of the door like that, even to the paintshop.

Back