Odd size wheels 29, 69 650.......

MJN":3u61yn1y said:
Just another way of trying to get you to buy another bike :evil:

:D I'm always a sucker for the emperors new clothes :LOL:

I run 650c s on my roadbikes as I have very small frames. Although the wheels are exactly right for me, choice of tyres is so limited compared with the more common sizes.

I built myself a cross style bike recently and deliberately opted for 26" wheels so that I could have more choice in tyres etc.

CAS":3rwmdpxc said:
I built myself a cross style bike recently and deliberately opted for 26" wheels so that I could have more choice in tyres etc.

As an aside what tyres do you use or have considered for cyclocross?

kaiser":1ajp6i6j said:
CAS":1ajp6i6j said:

If you built it for racing you may have actually limited your choice of tyre :?

Kaiser, if you wanted to go the 26 x 1&3/8th" wheeled route, I have a pair of new rigida 36 spoke alloy rims in that size. As regards tyres, only ones in this size that are knobbly are for bicycle speedway and Schwalbe seem the only players in this market but at about £10 a tyre they're not bad :D

kaiser":woeshn9j said:
CAS":woeshn9j said:

I have Schwalbe CX pro on this bike at the moment - I didn't build the bike with the intention of racing though but as a road bike with some light off road capability. We travel quite a lot in both Britain and Europe in our camper and I wanted a bike that was adaptable and tough enough for both road and track to carry on the back of the camper. I mainly cycle on the road and like drop bars etc.

I may have limited myself regarding tyres compared with a 700c wheel but that's too big for my bikes anyway.

I shoved a 700c/29" front wheel on the front of my standard single speed using a 420mm Pace fork and adjusting the stem down a bit. It worked quite nicely and certainly 'carved' corners in a way a 26 does not, albeit at the loss of some of the immediacy of the handling. I now run 29s at both ends in a different frame. I cannot say that they smother bumps any better but when they get rolling they do crack along. I made both bikes from stuff I had lying about the place but would not spend my hard earned on either configuration.

FWIW I'm 6'2" with a long inseam and big wheels work a treat for me, anyone taller than that I recommend throwing a leg over a decent example to form your own opinion. I ride a 29er full sus as my main modern ride and it really works for XC, results speak volumes. Plus I've built a steel rigid 29er Singular SingleSpeed with lots of retro appeal for fun.

That said, I'm keep riding my 26" retro steeds with pleasure plus the modern 6" full sus "ride it up and off everything" trailbike. But 29er options for the latter are popping up now and I probably will try one at some point in time.

Oddly I never warmed up to mixed wheel bikes, neither 24/26 nor 26/29.

Enjoy!!

Back