Number plates on bikes? Really?

Re:

That'll never happen. Or maybe it will until people realise the price of administering it.

Does anyone remember British Waterways cycle permits? I lived on a boat at the time and can honestly say I never saw a bike with one.

I have a bw cycle permit, never been stopped to have to show it, it zits inside my saddle bag.

Read j clarkskn book where there iz a reference to zomer professor who says anyome waiting at a red light when there is no traffic is a f..wit. i paraphrased it a bit.

I remain convinced that it is safer to cross empty road on red than wait for traffic to come alongside and the force me off the road as we move move forwards.

mattr":mn0yc2rw said:
The British water ways permit disappeared a few years ago. No longer needed.

So did British Waterways!

It started out as compulsory, then became a downloadable permit, then was quietly dropped. CART/BW don't have the resources to check whether boats are licensed, and those are one of their biggest income streams.

Seriously. Can you imagine a company like Argos having to license every bike it sells, but only to people whose address is in a place where licensing is compulsory? Or what the police would do with tens of thousands of bikes that weren't licensed and would presumably be impounded?

It would have to be a country-wide thing, or not happen at all.

chris667":1zg2z7uz said:
mattr":1zg2z7uz said:

It started out as compulsory, then became a downloadable permit, then was quietly dropped.

Yeah, i remember it being downloadable ....... but noone tokd me it was dropped. All those mikes done carrying unnessecary weight, grrrrrr....

02gf74":1ekib1vp said:
chris667":1ekib1vp said:
mattr":1ekib1vp said:

It started out as compulsory, then became a downloadable permit, then was quietly dropped.

Yeah, i remember it being downloadable ....... but noone tokd me it was dropped. All those mikes done carrying unnessecary weight, grrrrrr....

You can frame it now. It's a historical document. :cool:

I had one similar to this on my bike in 65. It was a program started via a city bylaw in London (ON). Compliance was spotty at best, and after the first year no one bothered with it any more and it quietly went away.

guelph-bike-plate-tanya-harrison.jpg

Typical council scumbags
Its just another blatant money raising idea. There are no cycle paths worth a damn and they wont do anything to help cyclist commuters and riders but want number plates so they can identify and if they can identify then they can levy a charge.

If ever the fkwits in the council needed their teeth rammed down thier throats this is such an occasion.
I urge everyone to harress their local council for the jobs they are supposed to do. Streets unswept, rubbish lying about. Bombard the fkers with requests for info on their policies then point out where they fail on them and demand answers
These assholes have too much time on their hands.

dyna-ti":307909zw said:
Typical council scumbags
Its just another blatant money raising idea. There are no cycle paths worth a damn and they wont do anything to help cyclist commuters and riders but want number plates so they can identify and if they can identify then they can levy a charge.

If ever the fkwits in the council needed their teeth rammed down their throats this is such an occasion.
I urge everyone to harrass their local council for the jobs they are supposed to do. Streets unswept, rubbish lying about. Bombard the fkers with requests for info on their policies then point out where they fail on them and demand answers
These assholes have too much time on their hands.

Definately ! +1

Back