Nuke Proof reactor help wanted

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Under the influence of post surgery anaesthesia and pain, I think I have become the owner of a Nuke Proof Reactor.

I don't know a lot about these, but have always had a penchant for linkage style forks and quirky bikes, and this fits both bills, so I am quite excited.

On the good side of things, I have a choice of Medium or Large, so anyone have any ideas as to which would be a good fit for someone just shy of 6ft?

The majority of the frame and forks are new, which is also a bonus, but unfortunately I say majority not because there are some used parts, but because there are a few missing bits. I am hoping that I can either get some spares (unlikely, but I can dream), or have something made, and as far as I am aware, the only missing part is the main fork brace. This is kind of integral to the fork, not just for bracing but the linkages hang from this and connect to the front shock fitted inside the head tube. Anyone got any ideas where to start finding one, or having one made?

Next up is the front shock. I have done a bit of research and have seen a few different shocks being used, but I haven't yet found any pics of how it is fitted. I plan to try and find a nice modern air shock, and how it fits will help me decide how adjustable I can get the shock, as access to the adjusters could be an issue depending on where they are fitted on the shock. Can anyone shed any light on this area too?

Aside from the above, does anyone have any other information on the bike/frame/brand from back in the day? I know that they have had a resurgence, but I assume it is nothing but the name that is the same, so keen to find out more about the brand.

Last and by no means least, what to throw at it kit wise. I happen to have a set of Nuke Proof carbon hubs, carbon bar ends and a stem, so that is at least a start, but what would the bike have had fitted when it was new? I'm not looking to create a catalogue replica, not my style at all, but interested to know what it was sold with, as it may inspire.

Thanks all, I hope my purchase doesn't fall through, as I am quite excited by this bike, loved the look of it the minute I clapped eyes on Jango's build, and never thought I would ever see one in my lifetime, let alone own one.

Re:

Is it missing the link top link too or just the lower of the two that the linkage for the shock bolts to?

Looking at the pictures, the top and bottom braces look very simliar, i wouldn't be at all supprised that (from a manufacturing point of view) they are the same part, just used 180º apart. If you have one then someone like Chris (Rampage) might be able to replicate it.

If it's missing both then it's time to ask a favour from other Reactor owners. Not impossible, just potentially expensive and cetainly time consuming.

I think it is missing both. like you I have hopes that the linkages are the same and just inverted, but I'll need an owner to confirm and from there, hopefully someone can lend me the part(s) to get some replicated. Am I making a mistake?

Re:

If you are looking to keep the bike, then I would say no, it's unique and worth spending the time on.

If you're looking to sort and sell, then yes.

Re:

I assume you got the frame and fork kit off e-bay? I got the same one from that guy ( it seems that he has bought the leftover inventory after the company went bust). I'm in the same position as you are. I have everything but the fork braces. Yes the upper and lower braces are the same. The most important part to have is the lower headset bearing since it's such an odd size it is impossible to find one. My frame is a large, but in my case it is unfinished since the BB shell doesn't have any threads cut in it (NOOOO!). Now I have the extra work to find a frame builder or machinist willing to cut the threads for me.
The good news is: I will have the braces and other missing parts made. I'll start working on the CAD file soon.
The bad news is: it might take me a while since I have soo many projects going right now. If you are not in a hurry then I can have some extra parts made, it might take a while though. I do have all the relevant measurements from a fellow Retrobiker, so replicating the parts to look just like the originals shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of using either 7075 or 2024 grade aluminum for those. As far as the shock goes: I intend of using a DT Swiss XR carbon air shock ( with the shortest measurement of 5.5" between the eyelets.) the would' the much of a collision with the parts on it, just in the air valve area I might have to grind something away from the steering tube base plate to make sure the valve stem doesn't hit that when fully compressed. The shock I got with it is a Noleen coil shock which would work ok, but I' trying to shed some weight and add the adjustability of a modern shock. I also have a Risse shock that would fit very well unfortunately it has a steel shaft and weighs more than the Noleen shock. Most modern shocks have very unfortunate placement of the air valves which renders them unusable for this specific application. The only other one that could work might be an old Cane Creek AD- series shock. Pending. You find the correct eye-to-eye size. The original catalogue bike came with a full M951 kit and HED rims laced on Nuke Proof hubs. I intend to do something similar (got the rims and hubs). I will use Magura HS-33's instead of the XTR V-brakes though.

Wow, thanks for the reply and detailed information, much appreciated. I'd certainly be interested in the fork braces being reproduced, especially if you have the original designs to make them from, as it will certainly be easier than finding someone with parts to measure up and copy from.

sounds like I need to confirm a few things with the seller too, especially around bearings, as if they are a size you can't buy, I'd be in a bit of trouble. I'll do that now and get back to you. I'm certainly in no rush to get anything done, it will be a while before I get the frame anyway, and then finding the time to build it will be another challenge.

sounds like I have all the bits needed to get it close to how it was sold, will just need rims I think.

Thanks again

Back