NOW £175!! Vento 16 (and 20) HPW (different years).

I'm going to have these (deposit coming over later!). Some advice though please peeps. Is there any way a Campag 9 speed cassette would squeeze onto the free hub?

If it does, I was planning on running with a 7700 DA 9 speed front end and shifters and it would make it feasible to run a Campag 9 speed RD, cassette and chain (with minor mods).

If I'm stuck with 8 speed... the DA stuff will have to go for a complete 8 speed Campag rig.

it is possible to run a 9speed set up on these, i did it with mine using a Marchisio (?) sprocket set, maybe others aswel. the Marchisio stuff was a slightly weird but good design, there were loads of parts that were interchangeable to fit the hub/spacer and then sprocket size.

for example, the first part to go on the hub fits the freehub body, a small ring with a serrated sort of edge which a sprocket then fits to, then a spacer (suited to the 8/9 campag/shimano width you need) then another small serrated ring, followed by sprocket, followed by spacer etc etc etc.

i found it to be good quality and lasted ages, but expensive.

Thanks Johnny - it was all going so well until the last two words!

Always the case though! :D :D

Rich

ringo":1ixi3iie said:
I'm going to have these (deposit coming over later!). Some advice though please peeps. Is there any way a Campag 9 speed cassette would squeeze onto the free hub?

If it does, I was planning on running with a 7700 DA 9 speed front end and shifters and it would make it feasible to run a Campag 9 speed RD, cassette and chain (with minor mods).

If I'm stuck with 8 speed... the DA stuff will have to go for a complete 8 speed Campag rig.

You should be able to fit a 9 or 10 speed cassette body to permanently convert them. I managed this with some 8-speed Chorus hubs using a worn out Veloce 9 speed hub as a donor for the cassette body & it worked fine. It's a fiddly DIY job getting the pawls back in, I managed it fine first time then couldn't do it the second time so gave it to ny local bike shop who fitted it for me & included it in the cost of a hub re-grease. You may need to re-dish the rim too.

Just realised this means I have a spare 8-speed Campag cassette body . . . .

Latest posts

Back