No helmet, less compensation

I agree a helmet would have reduced her injury but as it’s not a legal requirement she has broken any law in not wearing one so should not be penalised. If the lorry hadn’t hit her she wouldn’t have needed the protection of a helmet. I do think they should make helmets a legal requirement on bicycles and e scooters to reduce head injuries in the event of an accident.

I do think they should make helmets a legal requirement on bicycles and e scooters to reduce head injuries in the event of an accident.
Do they though? Studies are showing that wearing a helmet actually increases the likelihood of a head injury.

Though I can't find the link, I was reading an article about how wearing protective gear made drivers feel that cyclists were protected, thus giving them less space when passing.

I agree a helmet would have reduced her injury but as it’s not a legal requirement she has broken any law in not wearing one so should not be penalised. If the lorry hadn’t hit her she wouldn’t have needed the protection of a helmet. I do think they should make helmets a legal requirement on bicycles and e scooters to reduce head injuries in the event of an accident.
I am not familiar with the jurisdictionary system there, but if she has not broken any law by not wearing one, also not broken any law while suffering the accident, then the judge could be sued for reducing her compensation.

It seems the judge having some kind of a superiority complex, and forgot about his role in society, as he wants to teach those irresponsible bikers a lesson to wear a helmet, even though there is no legal requirement for them currently...
I bet he drives a car instead of riding.

Last edited:
Do they though? Studies are showing that wearing a helmet actually increases the likelihood of a head injury.

Though I can't find the link, I was reading an article about how wearing protective gear made drivers feel that cyclists were protected, thus giving them less space when passing.
Though personal experience I can say that helmets definitely do help . I was lucky to survive my accident and I wasn’t wearing one , if I had one on I wouldn’t have ended up with a cracked skull and a bleed on the 🧠.

Though personal experience I can say that helmets definitely do help . I was lucky to survive my accident and I wasn’t wearing one , if I had one on I wouldn’t have ended up with a cracked skull and a bleed on the 🧠.
Once i fell at quite a speed when i attempted crossing a tram line in rain downhill. I had no helmet on and my imprinted technic from judo saved me from breaking anything, but i got hit everything instead of my head. My beanie came off, so there was not much distance between my head and the tarmac. If i'd been wearing a helmet that time, i'm sure i would have broken my neck, as the helmet would have been touching the ground.
I would say helmet is good, but in that special case i am happy i was not wearing one.

Back